Early Assurance into Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to posting to this forum and am thinking about applying to dental school. i was just wondering whether there any programs where you can apply to dental school your junior year and get in early (like an early assurance program) sort of deal without taking the DAts...Does anyone know if there are schools like that?

Members don't see this ad.

DMBFan said:
I am new to posting to this forum and am thinking about applying to dental school. i was just wondering whether there any programs where you can apply to dental school your junior year and get in early (like an early assurance program) sort of deal without taking the DAts...Does anyone know if there are schools like that?

No such deal exists, in the way you've described it. There are some universities that have special programs whereby you do 3 years of college and then automatically advance into dental school if you have maintained a certain GPA and hit a certain mark on your DAT. Then, after entering dental school you are awarded a university degree.

But to my knowledge there aren't any early admissions programs where you don't have to take a DAT. I've been wrong before, though, but it seems like the DAT would be important, even if there were such programs, and that a low DAT score would be grounds for removal from such a program when an applicant finally did take the exam.

Are there any programs where you can take the DAT after your junior year and get in early that way?

Members don't see this ad :)
DMBFan said:
Are there any programs where you can take the DAT after your junior year and get in early that way?

You can take the DAT whenever you want. I would recommend taking the pre-reqs, first. Also, you can be admitted after your junior year if your requirements are filled, although I think it is more difficult.

This would be ideal...
Save me many headaches...

Despite what others say, such a program does exist. UOP and SUNY Buffalo are two examples. For UOP you have get into the 5/6 year undergrad/dental school at UOP. Which means you have to be commited to both UOP ug and dental school very early. It is also tough to get in. You must maintain some DAT/Gpa do keep in the program.

SUNY Buffalo will allow you to apply early and then enter the following year. More info on their website.