Early Assurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Breazy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of applying for suny upstate's early assurance program and it seems like it would be a perfect fit for me (i'm from the syracuse area, dont have to take mcat if accepted, in-state tuition, get to relax the last 2 years of college, etc.) There's one concern I have though - if I know that I want to be "super"-specialized and possibly academic medicine down the road, would it be easier to get into these type of residences/fellowships at a "bigger-name" med school (tier 1 or something?) even if they might be more expensive? I've heard that it only matters how well you do in med school and where you'll be happiest but do the connections you make at the supposedly "top" ones help? Sorry if this is dumb but i want to make sure that this is a sound decision - I'm basically wondering if it's worth trying to getting into the schools with the "snob-appeal" like the Ivies. It seems like where you go to MD school (as long as it's in the USA) doesn't really matter, but does it really though when youre looking at these type of residences later on? I'm kind of freaking out because the early assurance program is BINDING, so if I'm accepted, I'd have to go there. (I hope I'm not coming off as pretentious because obviously the odds are I wont get in the first time through EA or even the second time the regular way anyways with how the application stats are looking now.)

Members don't see this ad.