Early Bird AMCAS 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys. i'm a sophmore in high school, definitely pre-med (specifically rad/onc). do you think it's wise to fill out an AMCAS application just for practice? I really want to submit at 12:00:00 June 1 2012, so I don't want that being my first time filling out the application. i heard you should fill it out at least three times at the pace you want before doing the real thing.
The whole system could be changed by the time you get to it. Don't worry about filling it out until your application year.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys. i'm a sophmore in high school, definitely pre-med (specifically rad/onc). do you think it's wise to fill out an AMCAS application just for practice? I really want to submit at 12:00:00 June 1 2012, so I don't want that being my first time filling out the application. i heard you should fill it out at least three times at the pace you want before doing the real thing.

Oh lord. I hope you're a troll.

No, no and no. Its a form, if you know your name and other basic information about yourself, can copy grades off a transcript and can describe college activities in a succinct manner then you can fill out the AMCAS. If you need practice to do that then you shouldn't be applying in the first place. Why would someone want to do it more than once? Yeesh.

What are they going to say? We announced the application would be available "on or about May 3rd." We actually had the application live on May 2nd. This applicant logged in and started filling it out. We, of course, deleted all their info and made them start over on the 3rd, but we just thought you would want to know.

They put it online. What did they expect to happen?

I was actually kidding...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh lord. I hope you're a troll.

No, no and no. Its a form, if you know your name and other basic information about yourself, can copy grades off a transcript and can describe college activities in a succinct manner then you can fill out the AMCAS. If you need practice to do that then you shouldn't be applying in the first place. Why would someone want to do it more than once? Yeesh.

I think you're the troll. Look, buddy, I'm not willing to settle for IM, peds, or (God forbid) family medicine. I want rad/onc, ortho, derm etc. By 2012, I need to be firing on all cylinders. By then I'll hopefully have 6 years of research, multiple publications, African missionary work and whatever else it takes. I can't let a freaking application bring me down. How Nixonian that would be.

I think you're the troll. Look, buddy, I'm not willing to settle for IM, peds, or (God forbid) family medicine. I want rad/onc, ortho, derm etc. By 2012, I need to be firing on all cylinders. By then I'll hopefully have 6 years of research, multiple publications, African missionary work and whatever else it takes. I can't let a freaking application bring me down. How Nixonian that would be.

:laugh: At least you're a funny troll.

Pumped And Ready To Rock...west Side 'till I Die!!!

How do you know if you need to wait for your spring grades? All my pre-reqs will be met even without my spring grades....I think?? I will have 10 quarter hours of physics with lab vs after spring when I will have 15 quarter hours of physics with lab. Everything else is good to go.

So do I need to wait for my spring grades? which wont be final until June 20-something???

How do you know if you need to wait for your spring grades? All my pre-reqs will be met even without my spring grades....I think?? I will have 10 quarter hours of physics with lab vs after spring when I will have 15 quarter hours of physics with lab. Everything else is good to go.

So do I need to wait for my spring grades? which wont be final until June 20-something???
I have the same issue. I've been told that I can submit ASAP without the spring grades OR wait - the second half of June is still considered early submission. I've personally decided to wait for my grades because I'm taking 2 upper-division bio classes this quarter and want to show med schools that I can handle it.

The issue with my plan is that I'm not sure I'm handling it very well :(

I'd always wait, especially if your grades are good this semester.

Only SDNers are paranoid about getting done 6/1.

I have the same issue. I've been told that I can submit ASAP without the spring grades OR wait - the second half of June is still considered early submission. I've personally decided to wait for my grades because I'm taking 2 upper-division bio classes this quarter and want to show med schools that I can handle it.

The issue with my plan is that I'm not sure I'm handling it very well :(

Yea, I'm not doing too great this term either! Its not my classes so much (genetics, physics and parasitology) but its everything with my life that is going on. I have to travel a lot for a research thing I'm doing and my husband and I share custody of his son and every week/weekend we have had him has been right before some big exam for me...its been nuts!

Yea, I'm not doing too great this term either! Its not my classes so much (genetics, physics and parasitology) but its everything with my life that is going on. I have to travel a lot for a research thing I'm doing and my husband and I share custody of his son and every week/weekend we have had him has been right before some big exam for me...its been nuts!
Yikes. Best of luck to you with everything!

Do I have to send in one copy per school I attended for AMCAS or do I have to send in as many copies of my transcript as schools I intend to apply to? (Apply to 20 schools, get 20 transcripts from my University?)

Do I have to send in one copy per school I attended for AMCAS or do I have to send in as many copies of my transcript as schools I intend to apply to? (Apply to 20 schools, get 20 transcripts from my University?)

Just send in one copy (along with the transcript request form) to AMCAS and they'll do the rest.

I sent in my AMCAS on the 5th of June. It has been approved and sent to the schools. I am applying MD/PhD to about 20 programs. When should I be looking out for secondaries?

My MCAT was 30 and my GPA is 3.5, I don't know if that makes a difference with my time period.

Thanks in advance.