Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Early Career Incentive Specialty Pay?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by bogatyr, Dec 19, 2008.

1. bogatyr

bogatyr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Does anyone know anything about the ECISP? From my reading you can take it as soon as you finish residency (Oct 1 instead of ISP), it is equal to 62.5% of the ISP + MSP for your specialty, and the commitment runs concurrently. In other words, is this a raise in the ISP without actually raising the ISP? It is a 4-year contract, so it probably wouldn't be advisable for those on 2 or 3-year HPSP. Also, it does lock you into staying July-Oct your last year.

The info I got on this came down from the Air Force. Does anyone know if this same program is available to Army and Navy? (It should be).

Is my understanding of this correct? Have any of you who graduated last July taken this new bonus?

If this is true it is the best news I have had in a long time. It makes up for them lowering the BAH in San Antonio for next year.

Attached Files:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can't take it until you have 18 months left on your educational commitment. I'm right at that point. As near as I can tell, here's the deal:

You get 62% of what you would get if you were signing MISP. You have to sign for 4 years (adding 2.5 onto your current commitment.) The amount of money is equal to about what you'd get with a 2-3 year MISP, BUT you get it earlier. It's nice if you're staying in anyway, but I can't imagine it would be a deal changer for many.

4. Yellowstone

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does anyone know if this has actually been implemented? I'm surprised not to have heard more about it. Why does it seem to only be for the Air Force? I would think that retention problems are just as bad if not worse in the Navy and Army. At this stage, I am the perfect candidate to try to entice with this pay, although I don't know if it would make a difference or not.

5. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they?
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's Army, Navy, & Air Force: http://mhs.osd.mil/Content/docs/pdfs/policies/2008/08-014.pdf

6. bogatyr

bogatyr Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know how I missed that small point. Oh well, if Obama and Daschle completely socialize medicine in the next 2 years maybe I'll consider it.

7. rotatores

rotatores Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can someone explain this to me...cause I don't understand?

8. pgg

pgg Laugh at me, will they?
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While an attending physician fulfilling a service obligation, you get ISP.

Once your obligation is up, you can commit to additional years of service and receive MSP in addition to ISP. The actual amount of ISP increases while under a MSP contract too (this detail is not at all apparent from the published pay tables, unfortunately, and you have to refer to this document to see what ISP increases to while under a MSP contract).

When you have less than 18 months of obligated service left, you can sign up for ECISP - which is really just a reduced-value MSP contract (about 60% of the usual MSP+ISP rate). Doing so extends your commitment by 2.5 years if you sign it with 1.5 remaining because ECISP is a 4-year contract (served concurrently with med school & residency ADSO).

Example as I understand it for anesthesiology ...

ISP while repaying ADSO (not eligible for MSP) - $36K

ISP + 4-year MSP (new commitment after ADSO paid off) - $110K (MSP $60K + ISP $50K)

ECISP (not eligible for MSP or ISP) which extends commitment by a net of 2.5 years - $69K

(For all of these scenarios, you'd also get $15K ASP, the time-in-service-dependent VSP, and BCP.)

Once your med school, residency, ROTC, academy etc commitment is done, the remaining 2.5 years of the ECISP obligation can be renegotiated for whatever is the going rate for regular ISP+MSP. So you could extend it to 4 years with a 4-year MSP and start collecting $110K.

It appears ECISP is just a way for those who are certain they will extend their contracts to start collecting a bit early. For a career anesthesiologist I think the net gain amounts to $49.5K (18 months worth of the difference between $69K ECISP and $36K ISP).

Another good application might be for someone headed for a 1-year FTOS fellowship. Sign the ECISP with 18 months left, then go do the fellowship while collecting ECISP. Since the ECISP payback is served concurrently with educational obligations, the additional ADSO from the fellowship fits within the ECISP obligation, with the net effect being that you get paid quite a bit more as a fellow and during your post-fellowship active duty staff tour. You owe 2.5 years after the fellowship instead of 2 years.

I think.

9. Yellowstone

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Has anyone actually collected this ECISP pay, or someone you know of? I see that the plan was signed off on, but I think it is up to the individual services to actually implement it - and I haven't seen anything from the Navy.

10. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good explanation. An important point to make is to compare the total money paid out under a 2 or 3 year MSP/ISP with the ECISP.

Let's take anesthesia for example. If you take the ECISP, you get:

Year -1.5: ISP: .625*50000=31250 ECISP: 0.625*60,000=37500, total of $68750.
    Year -.5: $68750
    Year +.5: $68750
    Year +1.5:$68750
    Total for someone getting out 2.5-3 years after completing residency commitment: $275K

If you don't take the ECISP you get this:
    Year -1: $36000 (reg ISP)
    Year 0: $50000 (ISP) + $25000 (2 year MSP contract) or +40000 (3 year MSP contract)=$75-90K
    Year 1: $75-90K
    Year 2: 0-$90K

Total for the 2 year MSP option (gets out 6 months earlier than ECISP guy): $186K
    Total for the 3 year MSP option (gets out 6 months later than ECISP guy): $306K

As you can see, there is really no new money here, you're just getting your money a little earlier. Good deal for fellows, especially good deal for those staying in anyway (after 1.5 years you convert to the regular 4 year MISP), but not a good deal for those just considering signing up 2-3 more years.

It hurts to see them throwing so little money at us when the contractors doing my job are getting paid $300K+.

11. Yellowstone

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any takers for the USAF? It's not implemented for the Navy...:(

12. Yellowstone

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    With the Air Force not pulling their weight for deployments, I'm really curious to see if they are getting extra benefits that other branches are not. Anyone know of someone getting ECISP? Or was this thing just a big tease?

13. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bump. Anyone heard anything about this?

14. tman

tman Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

x

#13 tman, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  15. tman