Early Career Psychologist job stay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oathkeeper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a wide range, but I was wondering how long people tend to stay at their first jobs right out of post doc. I'm currently at two half time positions, one of which has potential for growth, the other does not. Wondering how long I should commit to the one with no long term potential. Pay is ok, but I'd like to eventually move on to something full time that can grow. Was wondering what other early career psychologists experienced.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure this is a wide range, but I was wondering how long people tend to stay at their first jobs right out of post doc. I'm currently at two half time positions, one of which has potential for growth, the other does not. Wondering how long I should commit to the one with no long term potential. Pay is ok, but I'd like to eventually move on to something full time that can grow. Was wondering what other early career psychologists experienced.
I stayed at my first job for about 2 1/2 years. Started looking right after they gave me a meager raise and at same time took away our health coverage and forced us on the exchange. Ended up almost doubling my salary. It never hurts to start looking. If you want a full time position, then see what is available. In my experience, both in psychology and in business, the main path to advancement is to secure a new position as companies minimally reward current employees and tend to take them for granted.

Reactions: 1 users
2-3yrs? It most likely varies by setting. If a person can last at least 2yrs then a change doesn't seem out of place.

In academia there may be some additional considerations like tenure/promotion that could get ppl to hang on a bit longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a job following graduation (two actually), left one after a year and the other a few months after being licensed to relocate near my wife. I have stayed at my first licensed job for 3 yrs (1 yr as a supervisor) and am about to make a move to a new job. My observation, job ads tend to ask for newly graduated psychologists, psychologists with 1 yr of experience, and those with 3 + years of experience and sometimes supervisory experience. These are your early career jumping off points for the most part to move up and negotiate salary increases. After that, the the game seems to change a bit as being a rainmaker of some sort often is more important than your experience.

I changed jobs after about 5 years. I had considered leaving sooner, but in hindsight I'm glad that I stayed in the first job long enough to establish myself and clarify where I wanted to steer my career.

I dont know stats on this, if that's what you rare looking for?

5 years post Ph.D. 3 jobs total-one of which I knew would be term-limited ("Visiting Assistant Professor" at a small college).

At my local VA for 3 years now. May leave within next 12 months. About 70% confident of this. And if doesn't happen, I am ok with that--can't beat the security and relatively lax work load/productivity demands. Good for young parents and ECPs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the responses; it's so helpful to hear about the experience of other people! It is such a luxury at this point to have a choice in how long I stay somewhere that I almost don't know what to do with that choice!

Started at a VA, left after 6 months to relocate and work in a private hospital with much better pay, benefits, and time off. While in post-doc I turned down an initial offer that would have kept me in a 3 year contract, which I'm glad I didn't take. I think you learn a lot in that first 6mo to year on your own that can potentially change where you would like to work. I heard or read somewhere that the average physician stays in their first job for about 5 years or so. My guess is that it would be similar for psychologists who work in healthcare settings.

Still in my first (tenure-track, academic) job (6th year) and have no intention of leaving any time soon! Academic jobs are different, though, as alluded to previously. Lots of academics do leave during the pre-tenure period, before finding their "forever" job (a term I saw on another forum recently), but I landed in a great department, with great colleagues and great students, in a nice location with good cost of living, so I'm in this for the long haul. Provided I get tenure, that is....ask me again in three months when I get the official word.

And indeed, I am now in the US making "bills."

First job after graduating was a 2.5 year stint at a state hospital. I thought I might like a career that involved forensics (which I do like, but not enough in comparison to my other love, health psych). Left that job and am 3 months into the somewhat intimidating world of private practice. Love it. Love being my own boss, love setting my schedule. Love the paperwork demands :) and love the freedom to do what I deem as the best practice without a "supervisor" breathing down my neck. Love my colleagues here. The pay isnt great yet, but once I'm full it'll be about 20-30k more, I think.

So great to hear all of the different responses- makes me so grateful for the increased flexibility of no longer being a student :) And this forum has helped me make one major decision- no matter how much longer I stay, I will definitely play "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta" and smash some computers on my way out.

I dont know stats on this, if that's what you rare looking for?

5 years post Ph.D. 3 jobs total-one of which I knew would be term-limited ("Visiting Assistant Professor" at a small college).

At my local VA for 3 years now. May leave within next 12 months. About 70% confident of this. And if doesn't happen, I am ok with that--can't beat the security and relatively lax work load/productivity demands. Good for young parents and ECPs.

You have relatively lax work load/productivity demands in your job at your VA? Thats rare to hear from a psychologist at a VA.

You have relatively lax work load/productivity demands in your job at your VA? Thats rare to hear from a psychologist at a VA.

Primary care mental health (PCMHI) requires that the psychologist have much open availability/slots for a warm handoffs from the physicians in the clinic. So yes my RV targets are somewhat low. However almost always exceed them greatly.

Not really. My productivity demands are almost comically low. Not bad if you want an easy pay check, but not great if you want to actually maximize your earning potential.

Not really. My productivity demands are almost comically low. Not bad if you want an easy pay check, but not great if you want to actually maximize your earning potential.

Is that for a specialty clinic, PCMHI, outpatient, etc.?

Primary care mental health (PCMHI) requires that the psychologist have much open availability/slots for a warm handoffs from the physicians in the clinic. So yes my RV targets are somewhat low. However almost always exceed them greatly.

Ok, scheduling is different for PCMHI. Understood.