Early Career Psychologists and Social Media Usage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckeyeLove

Forensic Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,
So I was hoping to get some feedback from you on something.

1. I recently was informed that I was attempted to be discredited in a case that I was involved with during fellowship that subsequently went to trial after my completion. More specifically, the defense attorney attempted to go the mental health route, even though my (and three subsequent 'Second opinions' of which all cited my eval) all opined that dude did not meet statutory requirements for NGRI (Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity). The defense attorney (somehow, even though I thought I had it locked down and I don't have my last name on it) found my facebook page, in which he was able to pull up only my profile picture in which he could attempt to friend request me. The picture itself was not bad (I was seated with friends at a restaurant in Chicago); however, he attempted to say criticize the picture and say that I was a "party boy that ran back home, etc..." Oddly enough, he didn't try to discredit the other two older dudes, who both agreed with my opinions. Seeing through this ad hominem, the judge yelled at the attorney and went with my opinion.

What this left me thinking though, is that is it finally time for me to give up social media? I essentially came up through all of my formal educational years during the beginning and rise of Facebook, and it is one of the easiest ways that I've kept in touch with old friends/ family. What have you all (I'm especially wondering about early career folks) done regarding your social media worlds? Gotten rid of it entirely? This might be tough for me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would. There are so many other ways to stay in contact with others and/or share pictures. How bout texting? The rest of Facebook, from what I can tell, is nothing more than uniformed hillibillies bloviating about various geopolitical topics that they don't have the IQ to understand properly.

Candycrush strikes me as something for eleventeen year olds.

Reactions: 1 user
I was involved in a personal lawsuit and they subpeoenaed my Facebook account. I have always treated social media as public information so there is nothing really there. Probably the worst picture is one a friend posted of me when I was 15 and wearing an Iron Maiden tshirt. I don't worry about it too much. Even if the picture was of you drinking a few with your friends, how would that discredit you? As far as I know, that is legal behavior. Sounds like the attorney was just reaching, hence the judge's smackdown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be extremely careful about what you post and never put up photos. Your side will always look at your history. If attys want to try to discredit you, social media is just an easy start. I have had not very good PIs follow me around. Joke was on them.

It's also a good idea to look at opposing counsel's Facebook, trial history, and bar actions. Takes 15 minutes and creates a very easy way to shut down such lines of inquiry. Just be careful in how you use the info.

Reactions: 1 users
I usually obscure my name on facebook, and so do most of my psychologist friends.

OP, sorry you went thru that nasty situation and glad the situation worked out in your favor.

The Internet can suck in so many ways. Someone wrote an article about the Japanese buyer we sold our Midtown Manhattan condo to and when you google my name, you get the condo sale info. I know it is public info and not such a big deal, but I would not like that info shared at first search of my name...it's kind of obnoxious.

Last edited:
Yeah, I changed up all of my privacy settings on Facebook way back when I used to do a fair amount of trauma work and therapy with individuals with BPD. I don't do other social media stuff (e.g., Twitter, instagram, etc). But this is mostly because I'm a 60-ish something year old trapped in a 30-ish something year old's body.

I dropped Facebook in 2010, only partially due to professional concerns. I recommend everyone stop using it.

I think it's possible to maintain a social media presence as long as you are mindful of the risks and pitfalls. I still use Facebook, but I have a fairly small "friend" count and I have made myself as difficult to find as possible. I use Twitter professionally and the content I post there is completely different.