Early Crit Care fellowship application dates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY4 out of 5 in an EM-IM program giving some consideration into applying for critical care. I was trolling around the internet when I happened to come across UofM's website for their crit care program for EM residents:

https://medicine.umich.edu/dept/eme...s/emergency-medicine-critical-care-fellowship

Specifically, this caught my eye:

"Emergency Medicine applicants will be interviewed separately and offered a position outside of the match. Interviews will begin in January of the year preceding the start of fellowship (about 18 months in advance). The position for fellowship starting 2016 has already been filled. The next available position will be July 2017."

18 months in advance? Is this a common thing? I figured having another year before starting to apply, are there other programs that interview/take applications this far in advance?

Members don't see this ad.

That program looks very much surgery-slanted (just one month of MICU in 2 years), meaning that they probably recruit mostly anesthesiologists, whose match is during the month of June of the previous year. Since they need to know how many slots to put in the match, I would say 18 months is about correct for any similar program.

19 months prior to the projected start is when the SF match opens for anesthesiology-CCM fellowships (match is 13 months prior to start). From my own recent experience, I'd say it is typical.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep that's right, my friends who just finished up with CCM interviewing process had their stuff to SF Match 18-19 months out (opens around November-ish) and then were interviewing in the spring primarily. I think if you get your stuff together a month or two before hand (so by late October) including LORs and personal statement, you'll be ready.

I have no insight for you on the dates of application, but I'm an CCM (anesthesiology) grad from Michigan - but I STRONGLY encourage you to look into that program for critical care training. Single best year of my (short) medical career.

Yep that's right, my friends who just finished up with CCM interviewing process had their stuff to SF Match 18-19 months out (opens around November-ish) and then were interviewing in the spring primarily. I think if you get your stuff together a month or two before hand (so by late October) including LORs and personal statement, you'll be ready.

But that is just for anesthesia-critical care pathway right? I was thinking more medicine-critical care