Early Decision Applicant to USC (Keck Scholars Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Party Animal MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here applied to or been accepted to the Early Decision program at USC, titled the 'Keck Scholars Program'? If so please come forward and get this glass of wine from me so we can toast to the best Medical School in the country.

-Party Animal, M.D.

Members don't see this ad.

Party Animal MD said:
Has anyone here applied to or been accepted to the Early Decision program at USC, titled the 'Keck Scholars Program'? If so please come forward and get this glass of wine from me so we can toast to the best Medical School in the country.

-Party Animal, M.D.

Hi,
I haven't been accepted to the program using early decision, but I did meet a fourth year Keck student while doing a preceptorship at Huntington Memorial. I asked him what his stats were, and I was amazed when he said he only had a GPA of 3.3 and MCAT 30. I thought it was really risky, but he said he knew what he wanted. Apparently if you show that you really want to go somewhere, you can show the admissions committee your desire by using their early decision program.

I met several other students, interns and residents from Keck while in the shadowing program. I think WesternU/COMP also rotates through Huntington. One of the other Keck students I met said he was an undergrad at UCLA. When he applied to medical school, he said he had options, and could have gone to UCLA, but chose to go to USC. He said when he was at UCLA, he felt that there wasn't much personal attention... kind of like a number. When he started at Keck, in his first week, he had the home phone number for the dean of the school.

I'd tend to agree. As a UCLA engineering student, I didn't feel like any of the faculty cared much for the students. In the work place, I've observed the differences in graduates from USC and UCLA. I notice that USC students are much better prepared for the workplace. I really wish I'd gone to USC for my undergrad. I wouldn't want to go to UCLA for these reasons alone I think, unless I couldn't get into any other California school.

I'm going to be taking the MCAT next year probably; when I do, I'll decide whether to risk applying early to USC, for it is definitely my first choice.

BTW, did you use the EDP to apply to Keck? If so, would you mind if I ask what your stats were? Thanks.

Cheers