Early Decision Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely confused by Baylor's early decision option even after talking to the admissions folks. It says you can only apply to Baylor through early decision and you cannot apply to any other schools. So does this mean I can't even send my application to other schools until they tell me if I've been accepted or rejected for early decision?

If so, that's a ridiculous risk since they only accept 15-20 people through early decision.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

The way ED works is you send your AMCAS to them under ED and the school MUST give you a decision by October 1st. You can't release your applications to any other schools until they give you this decision.

generally that's how early decision programs work.. they usually interview you early and give you an early decision.. if you're accepted that's it... and if not then you go back to the applicant pool and apply other places

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the chance you take when applying early decision. Do it only if you know you're very competitive for the school.

Geez that is risky. What would be very competitive numbers for Baylor?

I would make sure my numbers were significantly higher than their averages. Last year, I think Baylor's averages were like a 3.75 and a 33. At the end of the day, Baylor pretty much turned out to be a numbers *****, so my complete WAG would be if you had a 3.85+ and a 35+ as well as good ECs, you might stand a good chance through Early Decision.

Personally, there is no way I would've risked that, even if I had those numbers.

I seriously would not put much credence in applying ED to Baylor. They have the slowest, most disorganized, least transparent, and rudest admissions staff in the country. If you're good enough to get into Baylor ED, you've definitely got a shot at an even better medical school like Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, etc.

I am extremely confused by Baylor's early decision option even after talking to the admissions folks. It says you can only apply to Baylor through early decision and you cannot apply to any other schools. So does this mean I can't even send my application to other schools until they tell me if I've been accepted or rejected for early decision?

If so, that's a ridiculous risk since they only accept 15-20 people through early decision.

If there is any question in your mind, don't do early decision. I know people with great numbers do it and it works. However, I chose not to, and I'm glad I didn't. I wound up going with Baylor (start in July), but it was nice checking out other options as well. I feel much better about my decision than I would have otherwise.

One big reason for NOT doing early decision is that if your numbers are that great, you might get a better offer from another good school (scholarships, etc.) that you can compare / negotiate BCM's offer against. If you do early decision, they know they have you and it seems that there is less of an incentive for them to offer you scholarships, for example. However, the ED folks might get scholarships anyway (I'm unsure). Baylor was my first choice no matter what and since I'm in-state, it's also reasonable from a cost standpoint. My experience with Baylor admissions was very positive (found out very early even though I wasn't ED).

I seriously would not put much credence in applying ED to Baylor. They have the slowest, most disorganized, least transparent, and rudest admissions staff in the country. If you're good enough to get into Baylor ED, you've definitely got a shot at an even better medical school like Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, etc.
Not bitter are we? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that a phone call from Dr. Michael would reverse your opinion on Baylor's admissions rather quickly.

Not bitter are we? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling that a phone call from Dr. Michael would reverse your opinion on Baylor's admissions rather quickly.
Don't ASSume.

If Lloyd Michael called me today, I would tell him to suck it. That is the completely and totally honest truth. There was no reason to string out their decision to waitlist people for 7.5 months. 7.5 Months!

Don't ASSume.

If Lloyd Michael called me today, I would tell him to suck it. That is the completely and totally honest truth. There was no reason to string out their decision to waitlist people for 7.5 months. 7.5 Months!
I imagine that's probably because you've already closed on a house in Dallas.

Why would you build up so much hatred for a school based on the admissions staff? First of all, I found them to be among the best that I dealt with (worst would probably be Hopkins) but also, after you're accepted, you never have to deal with admissions again! The admissions staff is not representative of the experience you'll have as a medical student, so why allow your view of them to spoil your opinion of the school as a whole?

Yup - you've got to put off applying to other schools if you've got an active file early decision with Baylor. Are you a Texas resident? If so that's REALLY going to hurt you with the state schools. (The match was essentially a joke now which means most decisions were made by November 15th - that doesn't give you much time to recover if you don't get in early decision to Baylor).

Yes, I'm a Texas resident, and I'm going to follow everyone's advice and not ED (you know which ED I mean). I have yet to take the MCAT anyways (May 25th).

It's just that Baylor is the best primary care school in Texas. It would be awesome to get in.

Yup - you've got to put off applying to other schools if you've got an active file early decision with Baylor. Are you a Texas resident? If so that's REALLY going to hurt you with the state schools. (The match was essentially a joke now which means most decisions were made by November 15th - that doesn't give you much time to recover if you don't get in early decision to Baylor).
So I take it you can't do ED on one school on AMCAS and also do TMDSAS? Then if you get into Baylor then withdraw from all of the other schools.

I imagine that's probably because you've already closed on a house in Dallas.

Why would you build up so much hatred for a school based on the admissions staff? First of all, I found them to be among the best that I dealt with (worst would probably be Hopkins) but also, after you're accepted, you never have to deal with admissions again! The admissions staff is not representative of the experience you'll have as a medical student, so why allow your view of them to spoil your opinion of the school as a whole?
What else do I have to base my opinion of the school on at this point?

1. US News Rankings?
2. Opinions of nameless, faceless people on SDN?
3. .....or my own experiences?

Sorry, but I weigh #3 much higher than the first 2. This really isn't the time or place to debate what one should base their opinion of a medical school on. My point, although I didn't really articulate it in my last message, was that the other poster that said that applying ED to Baylor seemed foolish in light of Baylor's horrible admissions process/staff had a very valid point.

Do you not agree that the quality of/experiences with admissions staff would perhaps be important in someone's decision to apply early decision (i.e. the topic of this thread?)

Chalk it up to sour grapes if it makes you feel better, but I actually 100% agree with anonymous101, and "officially" retract my last statement about applying ED to Baylor. I wouldn't do it.

So I take it you can't do ED on one school on AMCAS and also do TMDSAS? Then if you get into Baylor then withdraw from all of the other schools.

That's actually a really good question/point. The two systems don't "talk" whatsoever, so I think you probably CAN do that (honor code aside, etc.) Whether you can get away with it is another story.

Do you not agree that the quality of/experiences with admissions staff would perhaps be important in someone's decision to apply early decision (i.e. the topic of this thread?)
I'm not sure why the "friendliness" of the admissions staff should have anything to do with your decision to apply ED or not--only your competitiveness as a candidate. I think you'll get in if you get in, regardless of how "nice" the admissions staff is. Their level of courtesy does not affect the acceptance rate.

I'm not sure why the "friendliness" of the admissions staff should have anything to do with your decision to apply ED or not--only your competitiveness as a candidate. I think you'll get in if you get in, regardless of how "nice" the admissions staff is. Their level of courtesy does not affect the acceptance rate.
Taking 7.5 months to make a decision on an applicant also speaks to their level of "having it together" (for lack of a better term.) Tell me ANY other job where it is acceptable to take 7.5 months to make a decision. OK, maybe some government bureaucracy, but there aren't many.

I wouldn't "bet" an admissions cycle (i.e. applying late if you don't get in ED puts you at a significant disadvantage) on a bunch of people who really don't have it together, but that's just me.

Even if I got the call from BCM, I'd still go to UTSW. But that's all moot, because I'm going to an Ivy anyway :)

I guess Jota is right, this might be possible but I'd question the ethics of it. I just assumed it wasn't possible.

OP - I still think you'd be better off applying very early to the TMDSAS schools and Baylor (and of course whatever other AMCAS schools you were going to apply to).

Milk: Did you apply to other TMDSAS schools? I seem to remember you're OOS but I could be wrong.

I guess Jota is right, this might be possible but I'd question the ethics of it. I just assumed it wasn't possible.

OP - I still think you'd be better off applying very early to the TMDSAS schools and Baylor (and of course whatever other AMCAS schools you were going to apply to).

Milk: Did you apply to other TMDSAS schools? I seem to remember you're OOS but I could be wrong.
No, I'm out-of-state and didn't do the TMDSAS.