1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Early Decision chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by BlueElmo, Dec 31, 2008.

1. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey guys,

So I was thinking of applying only EDP to USC in 2009. If I don't get in, I was thinking of applying in earnest in 2010 to all my other medical schools. How does this plan sound?
    I'm guessing my stats should be above average than the regular admissions people? I'm not sure.
    When I apply, my cGPA will be 3.70 my sGPA will be 3.71 from UC Berkeley and MCAT of 34S. My ECs will be respectable although not spectacular.
    I would only do this if I stand a very good chance at getting accepted. Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You probably are above the min.

But, why put all your eggs in one basket?

I would not do it with your stats because you will definitely get in somewhere unless you interview really bad...

4. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ED is a bad idea for most med school applicants. ED is usually the choice of people who are limited to a geographic area due to personal or family constraints (say your spouse has a job or is also enrolled in a professional school somewhere and you really can't move away for med school)...

ED also limits your chances at having options, including financial aid options.

Finally, ED is not some special "back door" into med school. You have to be as competitive, if not more so, for ED admissions as regular admissions.

If you decide to to ED, be sure to get in early contact with the admissions office...for ED applicants, most schools will actually advise you on your chances of ED admission at their school. Do NOT simply apply ED without ever having spoken to the admissions office, and if they discourage you from applying ED, heed their advice...

5. JPanda

2+ Year Member

Hi where are you getting this information from?

6. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lots of research into the matter...some of it right here on SDN.