Early Decision chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

So I was thinking of applying only EDP to USC in 2009. If I don't get in, I was thinking of applying in earnest in 2010 to all my other medical schools. How does this plan sound?
I'm guessing my stats should be above average than the regular admissions people? I'm not sure.
When I apply, my cGPA will be 3.70 my sGPA will be 3.71 from UC Berkeley and MCAT of 34S. My ECs will be respectable although not spectacular.
I would only do this if I stand a very good chance at getting accepted. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

ED is a bad idea for most med school applicants. ED is usually the choice of people who are limited to a geographic area due to personal or family constraints (say your spouse has a job or is also enrolled in a professional school somewhere and you really can't move away for med school)...

ED also limits your chances at having options, including financial aid options.

Finally, ED is not some special "back door" into med school. You have to be as competitive, if not more so, for ED admissions as regular admissions.

If you decide to to ED, be sure to get in early contact with the admissions office...for ED applicants, most schools will actually advise you on your chances of ED admission at their school. Do NOT simply apply ED without ever having spoken to the admissions office, and if they discourage you from applying ED, heed their advice...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi where are you getting this information from?

ED is a bad idea for most med school applicants. ED is usually the choice of people who are limited to a geographic area due to personal or family constraints (say your spouse has a job or is also enrolled in a professional school somewhere and you really can't move away for med school)...

ED also limits your chances at having options, including financial aid options.

Finally, ED is not some special "back door" into med school. You have to be as competitive, if not more so, for ED admissions as regular admissions.

If you decide to to ED, be sure to get in early contact with the admissions office...for ED applicants, most schools will actually advise you on your chances of ED admission at their school. Do NOT simply apply ED without ever having spoken to the admissions office, and if they discourage you from applying ED, heed their advice...