Early Decision- How competitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camd2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for opinions/experiences on applying early decision. I am wary of it for obvious reasons... only getting to apply to one school and you not finding out till Oct 2.

I have found limited information on early decision thus far. I am very interested in attending Loma Linda Univerisity in California... it is 7-day adventist.. It is basically my dream school for various reasons and would love to early decision to save time and money and increase my chances of being accepted.

I am currently at a california state univerisity (graduating Spring 08), taking the MCAT and applying this Spring. i think I am fairly competitive but I don't know how competitive it gets for early decision
Some info about me:

Basics...
christian... catholic
female
My GPA at time of application will be between 3.7-3.8
I will have strong letters of recommendation
MCAT ??

Leadership...
I have had leadership role in sorority for 2 years and president of pre-health for 1 year.

Research...
I have had summer internship at genetics lab and subsequent publication
I will have worked in biology lab for 3 years (4 years when I graduate) and thus have extensive experience in research and relationship with professor.

Volunteering...
I have had around 100 non-hospital volunteer hours through my sorority and pre-health club.
I have (400 +) hospital volunteer hours from breaks in an outpatient surgery center that my dad and uncle (both surgeons) perform surgery so thus I have been fortunate enough to have observed and/or assisted in around 100 operations.
Futhermore, I have shadowed my dad doing rounds and office visits during summers and breaks for the last three years.

I hope I didn't forget anything!

Thanks for any help anyone can offer....

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to have a meeting with someone in admissions at Loma Linda. EDP varies so much from school to school. At some schools your chances of being accepted are higher if you do EDP, at some your chances aren't any better than if you applied through the regular process. Someone at Loma Linda can tell you how it works at their school and whether or not you are a competitive applicant.

EDP is risky - if you aren't accepted through the program, you will end up applying very late to other schools and that puts you at a significant disadvantage.

I did apply through EDP and was accepted - BUT the only reason this made sense for me was because it was the only school I was going to apply to anyway. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Good luck to you!

EDP is risky - if you aren't accepted through the program, you will end up applying very late to other schools and that puts you at a significant disadvantage.
Absolutely. I wouldn't do it without talking to the admissions office - it's a very risky strategy unless you're confident that your admission is nearly a slam-dunk at the school you've chosen. If EDP fails, you're so far behind in the applications process that you may very well have to wait another year even if you're an extremely good candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok seriulsy ... i hope youve reserached LLU

I live in Highland, 10 mins away and in high school i volunteered there ... probably one of the scariest hospitals i have been to ... dirty ... rude poeple ... rundown campus etc .... in addition i have 2 firends taht are both in their second years and absolutely hate it there ... and they're doing very well academically ... finally ... LOMA LINDA IS THE MOST BORING CITY KNOWN TO MAN .... not that youll have lots of time to have a life but seriulsy i am so glad i escaped the inland empire for college ... seriously ... we just got our first movie theater 6 years ago!!!! come on ....

i guess ... .what im saying is visit ... and ask around ... make sure its where u want to go ....

christian... catholic

Are you sure you want to apply to Loma Linda? If you were applying to a Lutheran or Presbyterian school, being Catholic would not be an issue; however, non-mainstream Protestant denominations, such as Seven Day Adventists, Southern Baptists, Pentecostals, Charismatics, etc., are not particularly friendly towards Catholics; many don't even consider Catholics to be true Christians. You might want to instead consider the four Jesuit medical schools: St Louis University, Georgetown, Creighton and Loyola, with Loyola and Creighton being more conservative than the former two. Just my two cents