Early Decision- huh? Say what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalminute

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I understand the advantages of Early Decision to the med school, but really- when is this strategy appropriate for an applicant? If the SDN mantra (paraphrased) is to apply early and often, doesn't this "program" only make sense to somebody who has been "tapped on the shoulder", so to speak?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, being from Texas Baylor is my clear number one and it would take a direct hit to budge me from that decision (cheap, excellent, Texas) but nobody would just throw away the chance to get early consideration from the start of app season till your ED obligations were over, would they? And if so , why? I keep seeing no presents under the tree Admission's Morning if you guess wrong.

you have to be a stellar applicant for a school to apply ED anywhere. most ED people talk with the admissions office to get a feel about what there chances are. it puts you at a huge disadvantage if you're not accepted because you'll be essentially applying in october to other schools.

also, you might miss out on the chance to see other schools. unless you are really set on a school due to family considerations, you won't get to see all the options out there and find the best fit. my opinion of several schools changed as a result of my interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think ED makes sense for many people.

Seems to me the applicant who may consider ED has very real limitations on where they can go to med school, due to family and spouse job considerations.

In other words, if there is one and only one med school that will work for you, then ED is probably a smart approach.

I mean, being from Texas Baylor is my clear number one and it would take a direct hit to budge me from that decision (cheap, excellent, Texas) but nobody would just throw away the chance to get early consideration from the start of app season till your ED obligations were over, would they? And if so , why? I keep seeing no presents under the tree Admission's Morning if you guess wrong.

Which is why almost no one applies early decision anywhere. It just doesn't make much sense.

If there is one school that you DEFINITELY want to go to, applying ED should help your chances of getting in, because once accepted, you HAVE to attend that school and can't apply to any others.

ED isn't for people with a "First choice" (ie you think Baylor is a million times better than every other place).

ED IS for people who don't have a "Second choice" (I mean... who can only really attend one school (usually because of family or something))

If there is one school that you DEFINITELY want to go to, applying ED should help your chances of getting in, because once accepted, you HAVE to attend that school and can't apply to any others.

this is completely untrue.

Medical school deans consistently say they only accept the ED applicants that they are sure would get into their school ANY year. No medical school cares if you're going to attend there or not as they have a wait list full of qualified applicants to put in your place should you not take the spot they offer.

Look at it this way, for the school to accept you before they see how you fit into the applicant pool that year you have to be significantly above the average applicant. For most schools, if you just applied early, regular decision the only difference would be you'd find out at most a month or two later yet still have a good shot at some backup plans.