Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
as an early decision program applicant, one must agree to the following:

• To apply to only one medical school (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) through the Early Decision Program.
Now--Does that mean that you CANNOT apply to US-DO schools at the same time? Or is it referring to Non US-MD schools such as those in the Caribbean?

By my understanding (and I know this is heavily debateable), the DO and the MD are two distinct and separate degrees...so applying for one should not curtail one from applying for the other.
This means I can apply EDP at an MD school at the same time I apply early on for the DO schools. However, I know upon any acceptance from the MD school, I have also agreed to attend said university as per the EDP applicant agreement:

• To attend the school if offered an EDP acceptance.
There are those who consider DO=MD...and if this is truly the case, then applying EDP to MD and regularly to DO, would be a breach in the agreement an EDP applicant has made.

I need your thoughts.
-matt

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
So you don't consider DO schools to be "medical schools?"

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
as an early decision program applicant, one must agree to the following:

• To apply to only one medical school (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) through the Early Decision Program.
Now--Does that mean that you CANNOT apply to US-DO schools at the same time? Or is it referring to Non US-MD schools such as those in the Caribbean?

By my understanding (and I know this is heavily debateable), the DO and the MD are two distinct and separate degrees...so applying for one should not curtail one from applying for the other.
This means I can apply EDP at an MD school at the same time I apply early on for the DO schools. However, I know upon any acceptance from the MD school, I have also agreed to attend said university as per the EDP applicant agreement:

• To attend the school if offered an EDP acceptance.
There are those who consider DO=MD...and if this is truly the case, then applying EDP to MD and regularly to DO, would be a breach in the agreement an EDP applicant has made.

I need your thoughts.
-matt
It is my interpretation that the first point refers to LCME schools since these guidelines are set by the AAMC. The non-AMCAS distinction refers to UNorthDakota I think since they don't use AMCAS.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i think it's one school MD or DO. the way it's phrased (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) leads me to believe that.

what would happen if you got into both a MD and DO school EDP? you'd probably feel like an arse having to turn one down. it would be incredibly unprofessional IMO.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i think it's one school MD or DO. the way it's phrased (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) leads me to believe that.

what would happen if you got into both a MD and DO school EDP? you'd probably feel like an arse having to turn one down. it would be incredibly unprofessional IMO.
I think he wants to apply ED to an MD school while applying to DO schools. But it sounds like they're referring to both MD and DO schools when they say non-AMCAS...but maybe it could work?

OP
DrMattOglesby

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
But there is no EDP for DO schools.
I would find out if I am accepted at the EDP (for the MD) by October 1st.

If this is the case; then I would take it and drop myself from all other schools.
The reason I would take it so quickly is because the EDP program is my alma mater and I would love to return to that school.

I never said DO programs were not considered medical schools. I was implying the difference lies in calling it an osteopathic medical school vs allopathic medical school. Now, of course these have similarities but they cannot be called the SAME thing or you would end up with the same degree as a result.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think he wants to apply ED to an MD school while applying to DO schools. But it sounds like they're referring to both MD and DO schools when they say non-AMCAS...but maybe it could work?
ohh, yea i missed that.

i still don't think it's a good idea though.

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I really don't see why this would be a problem. They're separate application services. I don't think the Non-AMCAS reference on the AMCAS site refers to DO schools. Of course if you get into your early decision MD school then you're committed there and would have to withdraw from any DO schools.

Applicants Agree:

* NOT to apply through the EDP if they have already submitted an initial or secondary application (AMCAS or non-AMCAS) to a U.S. allopathic medical school for a M.D. degree program for the current entering class.​