Early Decision Mystery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any statistics about early decision, it seems to be a big mystery. Do people really get in that way? Has anyone out there done it and been glad they did? Any ideas on what it means when they say only "strong applicants should apply?" I would think a really strong applicant wouldnt need the advantage of early decision. Any opinions welcome...

Members don't see this ad.

I've been curious about this too. What is a "strong applicant" exactly? Can a strong applicant have great volunteer/life experience but a mediocre gpa, or does a strong applicant have to have stellar everything? it seems at my state school over 50% of early decision applicants get acceptances, but I've heard unless you're exceptional, one is better off applying regularly. This doesn't make sense to me because when you apply regular, you are also applying with a larger applicant pool because it includes August mcat people.Please somebody clear up my confusion.

A 'strong candidate' is stellar everything and a cherry on top.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darn, Im just short on the cherry?
Seriously though, I have a 3.65 GPA from a good private univ. and Im anticipating(?) 32-35 MCATs. Ive done a bit of everything from Americorps to Cancer Genetics Research to work with Aboriginal Australians and I can't get an answer from my dream school on whether or not I should do early decision. What the heck do they want from us :)

If you get 35 then yes. If 32 then no.

I'm very jealous of your work with the abos (is this term PC?). Were they tribal or the citified itinerant sort? Try telling your interviewer that you picked up some bone-pointing death magic from them, but you only use it when someone makes you feel rejected. It might influence his decision.

I know of one person last year who applied to Ohio State ED and got in. He basically chilled his senior year while everybody else was interviewing and stressing about the process.

He recommended going the ED route if your stats are above the average for the school you're looking at, and also if you DEFINITELY know that this is the school for you, and that you will go there if you got in.

However, the big caveat about going the ED route is that if you don't get in you are at a big disadvantage at applying to other schools (I think you can only apply to the ED school, and if you don't get in you apply to the others...please correct me if I'm wrong here)

It's a tough choice! Also ask the adcom if many ED applicants get in or not (I think MSAR may have some stats too). My recommendation would be to apply maybe to three or so schools, just to have a back-up lined up just in case
:)

I intended not to reply thinking someone else would (this topic was covered in another thread that I can't find)
Each school has a set of minimum requirements for EDP applicants. If you at least meet these requirements and perform decently in an interview you have at least a 90% chance or higher of being accepted. However, if you are under ANY of the min req then you will be rejected without question.
Call the schools you are interested in. They will tell you more.
My school's min was 3.7 GPA overall and a 30 MCAT.

You CANNOT apply to any other school until you receive word from your ED school.

I am not sure how great the EDP is, compared to just applying early.

In my case, I just applied early (about the earlies possible) and sent in 2ndaries immediately (had ideas for essays, or essays written already). I got in October 15 and October 29. That is 2 weeks and 4 weeks after the EDP response day. I wasn't a stellar applicant either (got rejected to the other 17 schools I applied to).
And as someone said, ask the admissions of the school. My local school said that my app would be automatically deferred because I didn't make cut-offs.

Good luck,
Simul

Interesting. What do you consider a stellar applicant? What are your stats if we may ask?

Originally posted by SimulD:
•I wasn't a stellar applicant either (got rejected to the other 17 schools I applied to).

Good luck,
Simul•

nobody should apply ed. A strong applicant should apply to a number schools so that they can compare schools, a weak applicant should not apply ed because they will just put them into the regular admissions pool. ed is only good for schools, not good for applicants, no preference for ed applicants at most schools.

I agree completely. The reason schools use e.d. is to snatch up the really top (and I mean top) applicants. Believe me, they will have no problem rejecting anyone but the best, no matter how much "desire" they show. Applying regular is the prudent decision, and worth the extra wait (waiting is something you'll get used to anyways!).

ED can be amazing if you get in. I happen to know of about 20 people from my school that got in ED the last 2 years (10 each year). They swear by it. Granted it is the University of Kansas medical school and there cutoffs are 3.5 and 28 MCAT, but last year there were 2 people that I know of who got in ED with 27's. KU takes over 90% in state and ~90 people applied ED last year. 40 were interviewed and 39 were accepted. The other bonus about ED is that if you don't get in early then your application gets thrown on the regular decision pile and you have essentially 2 chances at the same school. Personally, if your stats are above average and you definately want to go to that school I'd say ED is great. Imagine knowing where you were going early in your senior year! Big stress relief!!
The people I know who did it swear by it.
just my .02 cents
later

I think stellar is 3.7GPA+, 33MCAT+ ...
(or basically, 10*GPA + MCAT > 70)

I was a measly 3.1GPA (from a good school), but I had a 34 MCAT. Got into MSU-CHM, and Tulane. Going to Tulane.

Early decision just seems to complicate things. I thought I wanted to go to only MSU or Wayne State, 100%. After I saw New Orleans, I fell in love with it.

Simul

Thanks for all the responses. It seems that there is a lot of variety in ideology on this. I personally like what Col_4:14 had to say, Im curious where you got your info, does anyone else agree with his/her statements about the 90% chance after cutoffs are met? I am absolutely 100% sure what school I want to attend, I opted to spend a year researching schools and really figuring out what I wanted so that I could save myself the time money and hassle of applying all over. I suppose my theory above and beyond the numbers game, is that If I am ABSOLUTELY sure that someplace is the only place for me and I faal competitive as an applicant - then how better to show a school that you want to be there?
Anyways, feel free to keep the comments coming, I really appreciate the insight. Oh and for Mikado, there were all sorts of Aboriginies (Abos isnt the best term) and I dont know of any bone sharpening rituals :)

I got my information from my school first hand. No, I did not go EDP, I failed to meet the mins. :D Nevertheless, I got in early (November) anyway during general admission.
Call your school and ask them. They should give you a good idea of the %'s. In a previous thread, all of the %s hovered around 90% (IF YOU MEET THE MINS :D )