Early decision of Albany College of Pharmacy- Should I try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jedijoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was graduated from a community college last month and I am thinking to apply for ACP's early decision. Do you guys think I may stand a good chance? Here' s my status:

Anatomy and Physiology I+II : A
General Biology I: A ; II: B+
Microbiology: A-
General Chemistry I+II: A+
Organic Chemistry I+II: A
General Physics I+II: A
Calculus I: A- ; II: A
English I: C+ ; II: B

Overall GPA: 3.65

I have taken all the pre-requisite they want already...any suggestion of where I should apply?

Members don't see this ad.

jedijoe said:
I was graduated from a community college last month and I am thinking to apply for ACP's early decision. Do you guys think I may stand a good chance? Here' s my status:

Anatomy and Physiology I+II : A
General Biology I: A ; II: B+
Microbiology: A-
General Chemistry I+II: A+
Organic Chemistry I+II: A
General Physics I+II: A
Calculus I: A- ; II: A
English I: C+ ; II: B

Overall GPA: 3.65

I have taken all the pre-requisite they want already...any suggestion of where I should apply?

I think you should try. I mean they only look at your gpa anyways. If this is your first choice, going with the Early decision will increase your chance of getting into ACP. Even if you get rejected from the ED program they will transfer your applicant to regular decision. Having it transfered to regular decision after having applied as an ED applicant will give you a leg up from the competition. Hey you never know you might get accepted as an EDP applicant.

I'm applying there too as soon as I get my grades for OCHEM II. Too bad they dont consider work experience, B.S degree, or LORs. We'll see what happens. I have a 3.44 cum gpa with a BS in MECH ENG. They told me that last year students with 3.4 to 3.6 got into the accelerated program. They didn't tell me if it was from the ED pool or the regular decision pool.

anfhockey10 said:
I think you should try. I mean they only look at your gpa anyways. If this is your first choice, going with the Early decision will increase your chance of getting into ACP. Even if you get rejected from the ED program they will transfer your applicant to regular decision. Having it transfered to regular decision after having applied as an ED applicant will give you a leg up from the competition. Hey you never know you might get accepted as an EDP applicant.

I'm applying there too as soon as I get my grades for OCHEM II. Too bad they dont consider work experience, B.S degree, or LORs. We'll see what happens. I have a 3.44 cum gpa with a BS in MECH ENG. They told me that last year students with 3.4 to 3.6 got into the accelerated program. They didn't tell me if it was from the ED pool or the regular decision pool.

O you are applying there w/ a B.S degree...will that increase your chance? Or they would just look at your science gpa then decide who will get in??

Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys are planning on applying as transfer, you have no chance with these stats.
It does not matter if you have a degree or not since albany only looks at your GPA.

ForTce said:
If you guys are planning on applying as transfer, you have no chance with these stats.
It does not matter if you have a degree or not since albany only looks at your GPA.

He's right that a degree wont matter in the selection process but like i said before if that's your first choice just apply as an ED applicant. This will give you your best chance of getting in. ITs pretty hard to get in because they only look at your cum gpa, and science gpa. The avg gpa last year was a 3.7 to 3.8. You might not get in as an ED applicant but you might get in during the regular decision process. I probably wont get in as an ED applicant but applying as an ED applicant will give me the best shot of getting into ACP if I end up getting rejected as an ED applicant. ACP told me that people with 3.4-3.6 got in last year but its probably from the regular decision pool. You never know keep your hopes up and just appyly

I thought I may stand a good chance since my science gpa is ....I would say, pretty well. Does cumulative gpa matter when applying to ACP?

Is GPA the only factor , are you guys sure? I mean, in that case, will they look at the personal statement, honours/awards, etc? Pardon my ignorance since I am a Canadian applicant :) Thank you very much.

Chakshu said:
Is GPA the only factor , are you guys sure? I mean, in that case, will they look at the personal statement, honours/awards, etc? Pardon my ignorance since I am a Canadian applicant :) Thank you very much.
Nothing else matters besides the gpa. and yes the cum GPA does count too.

Albany's admissions process: 1. State that they do NOT look at LORs or PCAT scores. 2. Hassle you with at least three emails a week asking for the $100 supplemental application fee to process a non-existent supplementary application. 3. The e-mail states that they are "genuinely" interested in your "potential" as a pharmacy student (this means please email us the fee asap so we can tell you don't have at least a 3.9999 GPA--the only thing they care about). 4. Send you a ******ed rejection letter right after they cash your check. :thumbdown:

lync20 said:
Albany's admissions process: 1. State that they do NOT look at LORs or PCAT scores. 2. Hassle you with at least three emails a week asking for the $100 supplemental application fee to process a non-existent supplementary application. 3. The e-mail states that they are "genuinely" interested in your "potential" as a pharmacy student (this means please email us the fee asap so we can tell you don't have at least a 3.9999 GPA--the only thing they care about). 4. Send you a ******ed rejection letter right after they cash your check. :thumbdown:

That's EXACTLY what happened to me and a lot of people!!!
There's already a thread about how Albany rip you off with their $100 supplemental fee.

Wow really. I checked Pharmcas and they mentioned they expect their average class GPA to be 3.6. From the above posts, it seems then that they are misleading people. Also, someone mentioned transfer is hard to get into and yet they accepted 100 transfer students from 120 total accepted. Could someone shed some more light? Thank you.

Chakshu said:
Wow really. I checked Pharmcas and they mentioned they expect their average class GPA to be 3.6. From the above posts, it seems then that they are misleading people. Also, someone mentioned transfer is hard to get into and yet they accepted 100 transfer students from 120 total accepted. Could someone shed some more light? Thank you.

I believe the number is 20, not 100.

Number accepted - 120
Estimated entering class size - 75
Estimated male - 55 %
Estimated female - 45%
Number of transfer applicants accepted: 100
Number of out-of-state applicants accepted: 60

* Data as of April 2006

Chakshu said:
Number accepted - 120
Estimated entering class size - 75
Estimated male - 55 %
Estimated female - 45%
Number of transfer applicants accepted: 100
Number of out-of-state applicants accepted: 60

* Data as of April 2006
You guys realize that they do have two pharmacy programs there right? (0-6 and accelerated one). I'm pretty sure the 75 students that got accepted were for 0-6 program and the 100 were for the accelerated program. You cannot get into the 0-6 if you transfer there.