Early Decision program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onthetopo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I heard early decision program at good schools are incredibly hard to get in. I'm wondering should we even bother with it at all? I wish I could get in anything in california.

my stats:37 mcat 3.5 gpa

& good luck to everyone in the amcas 2007 cycle

Members don't see this ad.

onthetopo said:
Hi guys,
I heard early decision program at good schools are incredibly hard to get in. I'm wondering should we even bother with it at all? I wish I could get in anything in california.

my stats:37 mcat 3.5 gpa

& good luck to everyone in the amcas 2007 cycle

I think you should just apply early to multiple schools. If you don't get in with EDP, you will be at disadvantage. Just by looking at your numbers, you look fine.

EDP is a double edged sword. You can only apply to one. So to obviously you choose the one school you really want to go to. Med schools see this favorably since they know you're dedicated to their school. But keep in mind that if you do get canned and you have to start applying to other schools, you'll be behind of everything. Your MCAT is good but your GPA is not amazing (is that science or general? is the science higher?) and I have no idea what your ECs are like. Basically, unless you know you're more or less a shoe in for the EDP, i would just submit a reg. amcas

Members don't see this ad :)
To apply Early Decision, does your AMCAS have to be submited by August 1, or does it have to be fully processed by then? Thanks.

EZMcFlo said:
To apply Early Decision, does your AMCAS have to be submited by August 1, or does it have to be fully processed by then? Thanks.

Anyone? Please?

EZMcFlo said:
Anyone? Please?

According to the AAMC website:

When is the deadline for applications to be received by AMCAS?
There are two sets of application deadline dates. The Early Decision Program (EDP) has a deadline of August 1 for all medical schools. The Regular Admissions Program deadlines vary from school to school. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the deadline date.

What is meant by an AMCAS deadline?
An AMCAS deadline is the date by which the application and fee must be received by AMCAS. You must certify and submit your web-application and pay the fee by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) of the deadline date. It is NOT the date that the application must be received by your designated medical school(s).

HTH. :luck:

Only if you're applying to a school where you're sure you'll get in. All it does is save you money and stress, check out the MSAR and see how many people get in off ED (1 to 2 each year).

CTtarheel said:
Only if you're applying to a school where you're sure you'll get in. All it does is save you money and stress, check out the MSAR and see how many people get in off ED (1 to 2 each year).

Thanks! I spoke to the dean of admissions where I'm applying (I'm waitlisted there now) and he didn't discourage it. He told me where my application is weak, and said as long as I can improve that, I will have a good chance. I'm hoping I'll get off the wait list first, though ;)