Early Decision Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

baylor21

Dr. Henderson (or any other readers),

As a resident of Oklahoma going to a Texas university, I realize that my best chance at getting accepted to med school is at University of Oklahoma, the only MD program in the state, since they favor state residents and 90% of their acceptees are Oklahomans. I am considering applying throught the Early Admission program (next year) to OU, since getting in anywhere is the primary goal for me.

However, I recently looked at OU's med school admission statistics website and became concerned. For the academic year 1998-1999, there were only 173 state residents that applied there. Of those 173, 150 were accepted. If this is not a misprint, that says to me that OU must be one of the easiest med schools in the country to get accepted to, IF you are a state resident (1000 nonresidents applied, of which 20 where accepted). My concern is that I could be selling myself short by applying EDP, since if they accept me I will be obligated to go there. I consider myself to be slightly above average from other premeds, my stats are listed below:

GPA: 3.85
Major: Electrical Engineering
MCAT: Total: 31, Verbal: 11, PS: 11, Bio, 9,
Writing: R

Do you think that OU is not a quality med school, or is their education comparable to many MD programs in the country? Should I apply EDP, or just apply there normal decision along with alot of other schools? Getting accepted anywhere is the major thing I want to think of, so if OU is my only shot then I'll be happy with that. Let me know what you think.

[This message has been edited by medicalstudent.net (edited 11-08-1999).]

Members don't see this ad.

Also, do you think my low Biological Sciences score on the MCAT warrants a retake? or should I just stay with what I have now?

One more note: 1998 may have been just a fluke year, I noticed that in 1996 there were about 400 or so state residents that applied (still less competitive than most schools).

I did some research for you and in fact for Fall 1998, there were 408 applicants in-state and there was a 40% acceptance rate. Granted that most students would kill for an in-state school that accepted that much, those are still tough odds, so I wouldn't count Oklahoma as a sure shot. I think you're a fantastic candidate for admission to even some Top 25 schools. I have a friend at Emory who has very similar stats; he withdrew his apps at other places when he was offered a spot there so who knows what other schools he could've gotten into. I wouldn't apply EDP and I recommend applying this route to almost no one. You're a quite competitive candidate (if your extracurrics complement your strong credentials); you should apply to a bunch of schools -- I think if you choose carefully, you'll have a choice to make come May 2001.

[This message has been edited by dh (edited 11-07-1999).]

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a quality school. If you interview there, get to know the place well, really like it, and you have strong ties to OK then you can't go wrong going EDP.

Given your credentials, you are more than likely to be accepted, and if you are not accepted, you still have time to apply elsewhere.

Always be ready to apply elsewhere when you apply EDP. Admissions can be a bit random ANYWHERE.

I applied EDP to Mayo (not exactly easy to get into by any means) and was booted. Ended up at Baylor in Houston and was happy(I see that is your username... are you in waco?)

If you are gunning for really competative residencies, coming from a top 10-20 school will help.

I've rambled enough and also see the above reader has given you some great info.

Best wishes!

Jim Henderson, MD http://www.medicalstudent.net

The biological science score definitely does NOT warrant a retake!

We had students from Baylor at BCM. It is considered a good school though not IVY league. It is a known school and I think considered above average.

I came from Truman State University, formerly Northeast Missouri State University. It is a great school, but with practically no name recognition. It did not preclude me from getting accepted at Baylor Med and Northwestern, and getting interviews at Wash U, Duke, and Mayo. My MCATs were 11,11,13, M (my writing score sucked... so I wrote this online book!)Your writing score is very good!

Your Bio score will hurt your chances a bit at top 20 schools, but will be fine for most med schools given that the rest of your application is great too.

Best wishes,
Jim Henderson, MD
editor of http://www.medicalstudent.net