Early Decision Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biophysicianai

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought's on EDPs?

I have a first choice. I know the school well, as I've not only been there, I've been working in a lab there (part time, as I'm still a student) for two and a half years. My stats are competitive there - average MCATwist, above average GPAwise.

Should I bother trying their EDP?

I recognize that though my stats say I'm doing fine, no med school is a sure shot. Considering the very low acceptance rates everywhere, an EDP would have to SIGNIFICANTLY increase your % chance for it to make sense to go for it, given how low STANDARD admit rates are.

So, what are EDP admit rates like for applicants who are not far from what the school typically accepts?

Thanks y'all

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about specific rates, but I've always heard not to apply EDP unless you're a rockstar applicant.

my dean said the only real reason to go EDP was if you for sure are going to your state school for financial reasons and you know you have somewhat competitive states for that state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
EDP does not work like Early Decision for undergraduate. From what I've read, it can actually hurt your chances of acceptance. If you fail to be accepted to that school, then you'll have to apply very late to all the other schools. EDP is better for instance if you're an exceptional applicant and you anticipate being in another country during normal interview times.

What do you guys consider a rock star/exceptional applicant? I mean, so many people have 4.0s, Amazing MCATs, Research and still, a lot of these individuals dont get it. So what makes a " rock star/exceptional applicant " ?

thanks for the input, fellas

I searched this topic before posting, and found a few threads where multiple posters said exactly what you've told me - don't do it unless you're the Jimi Hendrix of premeds. However, within those same threads, several different posters also said things like "EDP worked for me, and I was actually sub-par" and "I got in ED, and so did everyone else I know who chose to pursue an EDP." Those passing along conventional that they'd heard through the grapevine didn't seem to agree with those who had dared to make the attempt.

So, the (limited) evidence I have at hand suggests that ED works. That said, and as some of you have noted, counselors advise against EDP unless your stats are higher than both cheech AND chong. On the one hand, counselors have seen countless students through the process. On the other hand, I think that counselors always give ultraconservative, Barry-Goldwater-grade advice. It is in their best interest and the schools that you get in *somewhere*, as it is better for the school. Am I too cynical? Does anyone know anything about this that they can support with something other than what they've heard whispered?

apologies if i've ranted. im exhausted, but have more studying yet to do tonight...

I was told by an admissions person at my state school that you have to be very above average to do EDP.

In summary, I think EDP means "prove you're x much better than your competitors at this school so we can make your application process y much easier by giving you z amount of extra consideration."

What do you guys consider a rock star/exceptional applicant? I mean, so many people have 4.0s, Amazing MCATs, Research and still, a lot of these individuals dont get it. So what makes a " rock star/exceptional applicant " ?

way above any of the school's averages plus extras....

not a great idea....

EDP is usually not recommended for even well qualified applicants. It's like gambling still.