Early Decision vs. Applying to EVERYONE Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wickedgood

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few years before I actually apply to medical school, but I am curious:

The schools that I'm becoming interested in have an "Early Decision" option, where you basically apply to ONLY THEM at the beginning of the application cycle, and if you are accepted then that's it - you're in, no more applying, yay.

But what if you DON'T get in... by the time you get the answer (yay or nay), your application might be a month or two late arriving at the other schools you are interested in. Putting you at a disadvantage.

Also, if a good financial aid package might sway your decision, wouldn't it be best to apply to more than one school in order to make a better informed decision in the end?

So, which is better?
A) Forgo Early Decision and apply to all the schools you are interested in as early as possible.
B) Use the Early Decision option only if you are 100% sure that the school is your #1 choice, and you are in the top of your class and guaranteed to get in.
C) Use the Early Decision option if you are 100% sure that the school is your #1 choice, and hope that by declaring that you're going to go there, the school will overlook the fact that your stats aren't PERFECT.
D) other?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im undergoing the same debate, and I am leaning towards applying to all my schools early. You really need to set an appointment with that schools admission director and go through application. You should be aware if you are applying EDP to a school like Yale you better be a stellar applicant, but if its a state school you should at the least be above average. I know that is kind of vague, but the best insight you will get is from actual adcom.

If I were you, I know you still have a couple years, but make an appointment now and see what that school wants. Cant hurt to work early.

Good luck on your endeavor

I am begging you guys to do "A".

To make a long and often-told story short, I was *sure* I wanted to go to a certain school, and was gonna apply ED. I was discouraged from applying early, and just got all my stuff in asap for the regular cycle. Now am I not only at a different school than the one I was *sure* I wanted to go to, but I received 4 (two partial and two full) scholarship offers when all was said and done. Easily the best application decision that I made.

Here's my thought: if you are good enough for the school, who cares if it's ED or not. So you know a little earlier. If you're locked down with wifey or hubby or rugrats, maybe you stay in one area. Other than that, get out and see some medical schools.

Best of luck with whichever you choose.

dc

I vote A

It can be difficult to know what school is your favorite until you interview at a few and have a basis for comparison. Since there is *Zero* increase in admissions chances from applying ED (as oppoed to applying regular decision and telling the school they are your first choice), you should just apply to a bunch and get everything in quickly.

Cast a wider net and take the time to be thorough in choosing a medical school.