Early Decision??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryan1342555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering ED to my state school. I know there are some major cons to this but I 100% want to attend this school. I spoke to my pre-med advisor at my school (who used to be the assistant dean of admissions at the state school) and he said if that’s where I want to go then to go for it. I will meet with the current dean of admissions soon to get his opinion. The state school is good (middle of the rankings but ehh rankings don't mean much to me), close to home (I would live at home), and financially would save me hundreds of thousands compared to a private med school. I do not see myself at any other school and am dead set on this school.

Some things about me: 4.0 GPA, 514 MCAT, strong extracurricular, clinical, LORs. I will be getting a Masters in Public Health from the same state school as my undergrad and the School of Medicine. My sister is a 2nd year at the state medical school and my father works as a physician for the hospital of the medical school.

My question is what do you all think? If you have or are thinking about ED what is your story? Should I take this calculated risk?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not see myself at any other school and am dead set on this school.
then go ahead and apply ED. it would save you time and effort if you don't care to interview at other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for ED.. Gather as much info as you can.. Meet with the school before, and roll with it.... But if I was you I would prewrite secondaries to other schools you may apply to in the case you do not get accepted

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you've lined your ducks up appropriately..I'd say go for it if you're sure that's where you want to be.

So it's good you reached out to the dean. That's a big step. You need to be encouraged by the admissions office to apply ED before you take the risk. Many people believe that the best ED candidates are the most competitive applicants, but that is wrong for many schools. The best ED candidates aren't the ones with the highest stats, they are ones with the strongest reasons for attending the school like dying family member in the area whom you are the sole caretaker of or something.