Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard mixed responses as to ideal candidates for ED (early decision, not...). On the AAMC website it says only strong candidates should apply whereas the CW of classmates is that it is for candidates that aren't as strong. Any thoughts on this issue and on the ED program in general?

Take care!

Members don't see this ad.

Before applying ED it is generally advisable to set up a consultation with the school prior to making the commitment. They will generally give you a go ahead or no go if you are a "strong candidate"

Thanks, B. Does anyone concur/dissent?

Members don't see this ad :)
arob34 said:
Thanks, B. Does anyone concur/dissent?

I would say don't apply ED. Just because a school has an ED program, AAMC does not have any rules saying that they have to accept anyone via that method. This is what happened to me this year... I applied ED to my state school where I was one of seven interviewees for the ED program. Come October I was told that the Adcom had decided to defer me back to the regular applicant pool. After speaking to the Dean, he revealed that they had decided not to offer any spots via the ED program. Now my app will not be reviewed again until sometime in Jan-Mar 2006 (which by that time, with rolling admissions, the class will be filled). And if I were to add schools once I was released from the ED program, it would put me even more behind the 8-ball than someone who had taken the Aug MCAT, since at least someone who takes the Aug MCAT usually has completed their secondaries at the schools and is just waiting for their scores to be released... I didn't even have any other secondaries at that point.

I don't buy the ED as a safer route for "average" candidates that you mention in your first post. If your stats are "average", my advice would be to get your AMCAS and secondary applications out as soon as possible, and apply broadly.

Good Luck!

BrettBatchelor said:
Before applying ED it is generally advisable to set up a consultation with the school prior to making the commitment. They will generally give you a go ahead or no go if you are a "strong candidate"

Do you know how far in advance of their application people usually meet with an adcom? A month? Six months?

Microgin,

Sorry to hear about your situation, that sucks. It seems a little shady on the part of the adcom to have the program then accept NOBODY, especially given the situation you have to put yourself in going early decision. Thanks for sharing and best of luck to you!

Wow that hurts. I think if I dont get in this year, Im gonna retake the April MCAT an just apply ED to one of the schools in my state. If I dont get in, Im just gonna go to the islands, no point in me just wasting time anymore:)

ED is a risk and you should consult the school where you are applying. I wanted to apply ED at Buffalo and asked Mr. Rosso about it, he plainly told me that Buffalo's ED track record sucks and they didn't accept anyone through ED for quite a while. He also told me that Adcoms at Buffalo have the POV that if you really wanted to be doctor you would apply to a lot of places and not be fixated on one school.

By the way, I was rejected pre-interview/post secondary from Buffalo, so I might really not know what I am talking about.

I would call the director of admissions at the school you are looking at EDP. Some schools don't have higher standards completely. They just have it for students who are willing to make such a large commitment to their school! Check in with each school you are thinking about. I think they are pretty good about telling you if you are a good candidate for EDP or not. Good lUck!

Maerad said:
Do you know how far in advance of their application people usually meet with an adcom? A month? Six months?
I would say maybe right after MCAT scores come out (early june). That way they have the full picture to tell you your chances and you still have time to designate it as ED or add more schools.