Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Osteopathic schools have early admission processes? If they do, I would appreciate some info. Which schools? Were you in state? What are some of the reasons for doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied early decision at KCOM. While they do call it early decision it is a little different from the allopathic programs that I have heard of. Basically you agree that by applying early decision you are not allowed to apply any where else if they turn you down. If the school accepts you then you are stuck there or you go nowhere. At KCOM there are no seperate days for interviewing the early decision applicants as there are at many allopathic schools but what they do do is evaluate your application early and process you sooner.

I don't know if I would have been accepted any sooner had I not applied early decision but as it was I interview the first week of October and knew in less than a week I ws accepted.

The program worked for me but I don't know how it has gone for others.

Carrie

Carrie,

Are you sure that if you are NOT accepted that you cannot apply to other schools that year? That doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense to me, nor does it seem fair.

Renee

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Carrie. But may I ask if you applied as a resident or out of state? And (you don't have to answer this) was your application very competetive? The reason why I ask is because my stats and experience at this moment is only average or a little above.
Thanks again,
Miss
P.S Anyone else apply early decision and to which schools?
smile.gif

WesternU/COMP has an early decision program. You can apply if you have a strong preference for WesternU - you must have at least a 3.3GPA and 9s on the MCAT.

On a personal note - I think that early decision programs only set people up for disappointment, meaning that you can apply to only 1 school (until they either accept/reject you). In case of a rejection you'll be put far behind everybody else and your 2nd-aries (for other schools) won't get completed until late Nov/Dec at the earliest.
Later
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03

Renee,
Sorry that was a typing error. I meant to say you could not apply to any other schools unless they do not accept you.

Miss,
I was out of state, although I don't think KCOM cares anything about what state you are from. As for competitiveness I think I was pretty competitive for anywhere I wanted to apply (within reason) MCAT 32, Sci GPA 3.7 Overall 3.6 with 3 years work as a paramedic and at the time some shadowing experience (Much more experience now because I really like it)
It also helped by case that one of the interviews was done on rounds with one of the interviewers which was a situation I felt very comfortable with and he got to see me interact with patients which is what I love to do. Goodluck

Carrie

Miss,
Early decision is not necessarily the trap you might think it is. I plan to try for early decision at AZCOM this summer/fall when I send out the apps. If you apply for early decision you indicate preference and cannot apply to other schools during their evaluation time of you. However you can apply after interviews basically since you won't hear much till after you hear from your early decision school. If you are looking for advice then this would be it:
If you know you are a strong canidate for a school to which you are applying (See Carrie's AS A REFERENCE, not a definition. Her application was well above what was needed. (P.S. that's awesome Carrie!)) Then DO IT. But if you are ave. 3.3 GPA, 27 MCAT and limited experience to speak for you.... you should keep all options. Remember that many schools have rolling admissions where they select applicants as they go! Time is essential. GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES
Rob

Miss,

I'm not really sure that Early Decision helps you get in that much earlier than regular applicants. I turned in my AACOMAS on June 2, so they must have received it in their office by June 7th-8th. As soon as COMP sent me their secondary, I sent it back by the middle of August. In December I talked to the Assistant Dean of Admissions, and she said I was one of the first group accepted to COMP (October 15th). And so I am assuming that she meant the first group to get accepted whether earlier decision or not. If you turn your stuff in early, you don't need to get early decision. I interviewed at 3 schools by the beginning of October and knew that I was admitted to 2 schools by the middle of October. I personally think you keep all your bases covered if you apply regular decision and just turn in the applications super early.

EDGAR