Early Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjb305

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just have a question about early decision.. I have a 3.44 GPA and a 34 MCAT and I'm going to cincinnati's post bacc (masters in physio) program next year and I know that is my number 1 med school choice BUT i'm out of state.. should I still apply for early decision???

Members don't see this ad.

NO! If you go to schools' websites and read their recommendations regarding ED, they quite explicitly say that only highly competitive applicants should consider this route. You wouldn't be considered "highly competitive" even if you were in-state. This is MUCH more likely to end up hurting you - there's like a 95% chance you get rejected for ED with these stats being OOS and all, and then you won't be able to apply to other schools till October, which is very late - many people with much better stats have been rejected at mid- and low-tier schools simply because they applied this late in the cycle. I strongly suggest against doing this.

Ok so I just have a question about early decision.. I have a 3.44 GPA and a 34 MCAT and I'm going to cincinnati's post bacc (masters in physio) program next year and I know that is my number 1 med school choice BUT i'm out of state.. should I still apply for early decision???

You are taking a huge risk. Unless you are going EDP for Northeastern or Wright State - I say this since you have some strong ties to Ohio - i wouldn't do it. Your GPA isn't so hot. you know?

It kinda depends on the rest of your application. Your MCAT is very strong and your GPA is not too bad if that is your science GPA. You would need to be very strong in your clinical background, research, and other ECs to be considered a highly competitive applicant. I would recommend calling an admissions adviser at the school and discussing your situation with them. After that, you should have a good idea about what to do.