Early ERAS submission and senior AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJasper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that the earlier you submit your application, the better (eg: Sept 1). This is what I was definately planning on doing...However, my dean assured me this week (of the record) that I will make senior AOA (based on grades, etc), however, the 'formal' decision via the committee and induction won't occur until mid-late September.
My question is whether or not to wait to submit the application, so that I can mark "AOA status." If I submit early, can we go back and change it somehow, and if so, will programs take note of this?

Any experience on this or thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that the earlier you submit your application, the better (eg: Sept 1). This is what I was definately planning on doing...However, my dean assured me this week (of the record) that I will make senior AOA (based on grades, etc), however, the 'formal' decision via the committee and induction won't occur until mid-late September.
My question is whether or not to wait to submit the application, so that I can mark "AOA status." If I submit early, can we go back and change it somehow, and if so, will programs take note of this?

Any experience on this or thoughts??

Plenty of people, myself included submit ERAS before Senior AOA elections are held and get elected. You can go back and update that later (it's not part of the CAF) and that info will be forwarded to any program you applied to.

Having said all that, if you're AOA caliber to begin with, it probably won't make much difference unless you're trying to match a super-competitive specialty.