Early Forecast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CraftyCactus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just finished my freshman year in chemical engineering at the University of Texas and my GPA took a faceplant in my second semester. It's a 3.2. I'd like to know what kind of shot I have at getting into any med school, as well as my shot at getting into any MD/PhD program, as well as some guidelines on what I'd need to do to get there.

Last fall, I took some introductory courses and basic requirements for my major:
3-hr required signature course: A
calculus: A
gen chem II: A
chem lab: B+
basic computing course (ie. "how to use MATLAB"): A

Spring:
chemical engineering basics (mass balances): C-
diff eq: C+
genetics: A-
ochem I: C
ochem lab: B+

The chemical engineering basics course is known for being one of two weed-out courses in my major. Half of the class gets a C, and the tails on either end of the distribution are about the same. Since I took several cell/microbio/genetics courses as well as diff eq in high school, I spent much less time preparing for them, and instead, dedicated the majority of my time and effort to the chemical engineering course. I did fine in math, genetics, and ochem for the first month or so, but small mistakes plagued me in the weed-out class, to the point at which I lost focus and fell apart.

Now here I am, trying to pick up the pieces. Next semester I'll take the second of the two weed-out classes (transport phenomena), ochem II, and a couple new classes within my major; essentially, a "second shot" at the scenario that wrecked my GPA. Over the summer I'm taking a physics class, studying ahead for the new weed-out, and researching.

If it's somewhat of a consolation, my extracurriculars are decent:
- I've been volunteering at the hospital every week since last spring
- I have four semesters and one summer of research experience from high school, and will continue to research in a similar area this summer
- the prof for whom I'm working says I've a good chance of getting a paper (perhaps two) published with him
- I've two leadership positions in different organizations, and will be a VP for one of them next year

This seems to scream, "spend more time on your actual classes!", but I honestly didn't dedicate that much time to extracurriculars last semester. I wasn't doing research at the time, spent perhaps an hour per week on average on both leadership positions combined, and volunteered for three hours per week. I believe that poor study habits were the main culprit for poor grades.

I purposely lightened my class load next semester to have the right amount of core classes to still finish early (I'm a semester ahead of schedule), with no classes on Fridays. I'm contemplating on cutting down the non-school stuff, but I don't know how much it would help. Later on I'd like to take several more biology classes, since I'm confident that I would do well in those courses (which would importantly boost the GPA). However with the new 2015 MCAT coming out, I have no idea if I should be planning to take psychology, ethics, or some behavioral courses instead, since I have little to no background in those areas.

At this point, I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place and am not sure what is realistic anymore. How much can be fixed in two years, and do I still have a shot at getting an MD/PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, don't worry about this so early in your undergrad career or you're going to make yourself crazy!! Just focus on getting your GPA up.. You have a ton of time to raise it to a good number

Just don't let it slip further. Have an upward trend and carry that till the end for a strong finish. A hiccup freshman year is not the end.