Early Graduate (3 years with degree)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherr1pop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore in college but I'm planning to graduate after 2 years and go to dental school. I will be coming out with an undergrad degree (Biology B.A.). I was wondering how this will affect my chances of getting into dental school. I am a little worried about not having too much courses on my transcript. I will only have done 2 years of bio(1 yr general, mole bio, biochem) & chemistry (general & org) when I turn in my application next summer. I had to push physics/genetics/upper division bio to my last year. If anyone has any experience in this, please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm in that situation right now. I took summer classes thinking I could gain an edge and try to get in after three years of undergrad without a degree. It turns out I've taken so many hours in the summer and about 19/semester that I will be graduating this upcoming May. It's crazy to think I'm getting my degree in only 3 years of undergrad, but I think all the hard work will truly pay off. Hopefully it shows the adcom my dedication and someone will accept me..

as long as you're getting a degree, i think it actually makes you look better. considering the fact that many people don't even finish college in 4 years, 3 sounds pretty amazing. I think it shows you can handle a tough load and that you are dedicated to academics.
i've also finished my degree in three years with about 4 summer courses i took plus ap credits and such, so maybe i just sound like im gloating :D but i certainly dont think its a negative thing?!?
my number choice right now is pacific so i figure that my undergrad reflects their program as well...
but who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess summer school would be a plus since dental schools are mostly trimesters... although my plan is to graduate in 3 years without any summer school...but good luck to both of you guys! i guess we're sort of in the same boat here :)

its no problem if u graduate early..im graduating at the end of my third year..i have applied this cycle..i have gotten two interview invites already..its not how long ur there, but wat ur diong while in college

I think three year graduates have good chance if they are strong candidate. It's a bit different but my friend got into M.D Ph.D Program at UAB. I know he got a bunch of interviews at other schools as well.

You have some upper level bio in there, and they can see that you are planning on taking the courses. As long as you have a GPA that shows your capable of handling aggressive course loads then you should be ok. Good luck.

sure you can take 20 credits in one semester, did you do well is what it comes down to

my school didn't let us use ap credits for pre-reqs so i guess i'm set on that... it just went towards units that i need to graduate... and i am on 18 unit schedule right now.. will have another 18 or two 17 semesters to graduate in 3 years w/o summer school.
i did pretty good in my first year but i'm thinking second year will be more important since it's upper division sciences...

p.s. thank you everyone once again! :) and for anyone else having midterms soon, good luck!!! i'm off to study for my first ochem midterm :scared:

I graduated in 3 with a degree and used 30 AP credits (they were good for graduating, but useless for pre-reqs because they were low level bio and chem). I only went to interviews at UW and UOP and neither brought it up. I did mention it in my personal statement. It was something to the effect of responding to the question "why so fast" and I said why not? I know what I want and I can do it in 3, why waste an extra year of undergrad tuition and time. Good luck with your apps!