Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Early in the admissions process??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by surfdevl02, Nov 10, 2002.

1. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello-
    I know everyone is saying this is early in the admissions process and only the top candidates are getting interview invites but i was wondering, when does the meat of the admissions season begin, like when do most avg. applicants start receiving their interview invites, esp from the top 25 schools? It's hard reading about all these interview invites people are getting on here and i'm sitting on my ass waiting for 20 schools to get back to me. Anything people could contribute (especially if you're a first or second year in med school now) would be appreciated!

surfdevl02

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I received my first interview invite last year (and it was from a top 10 school! which I eventually was accepted at :) ) the first week in November. I applied to 23 schools, and the bulk of my invites came in Dec. and Jan. for Feb. and Mar interview dates. I should also say that I was a first time August MCATer, and, of course, last year was not your typical year for AMCAS. Good luck with your applications -- I'm sure you'll start hearing something soon! :)

4. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank you for your encouraging words SMW!

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh, I forgot to say, I was a pretty average applicant (3.5 cum/3.4 sci GPA, 30M MCAT).

6. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I would say, though, that we are really not early in the admissions process anymore. We're like in the 3rd inning--early enough not to worry yet, but some of the game has been played.

7. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It feels like i'm in the 7th inning and my relief pitcher is about to come in.....

8. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

Ha if we are going b ball here well i feel like im in game 6 of last years WS.. im the d backs and i have just sent Kim in ... basically 9th inning.. i was up but invetibly i know hes gonna blow it.. just hwo i feel. no hope! this process sucks.. 2 rejections already form my bottom schoools!!!! hahaha

9. SM-UCLA tech

SM-UCLA tech CCOM MS4 soon OB/Gyn PGY1
    7+ Year Member

i go through periods of feeling nervous.....and then I also realize that there are six months of interviews to come. Including november.... a lot of schools say they interview into april.

ugh....i hate this waiting

( thank god I was a starting pitcher in college....hopefully I can go the distance! )

10. UCLAMAN

UCLAMAN Air Jordan Collector
    7+ Year Member

haha...this waiting sucks....i feel like the lakers during the laker/kings series....i just wish i knew that we would win the series instead of waiting for a last-second kobe attempt which clangs off the rim for vlade to bat right out to horry who hoists a 3 pointer with no time remaining that takes forever and a day to drop in game 4....then having to wait til overtime of game 7 (at arco arena nonetheless) to finish the kings off.

I just hope from my perspective that I end up being the victorious like the lakers....cuz last year i was the kings...close but no cigar.

11. surfdevl02

surfdevl02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

12. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I'm with you. I wish I had a "balls of steel" closer to relieve me. I just want one acceptance, so I can get arrogant and choosy.

13. when I applied with 3.6 29Q MCAT, I received my first interview invitation in early October (app. complete 2 weeks before), second and third invitations in late October, 4th in mid-December, 5th in late January after writing a letter of interest, 6th and 7th in mid-February. Actual interviews were PSU in Oct., MCP in Nov., NYMC in Dec., Tufts in January, Maryland (state school) in early March, GW in March, and SLU in April. Hope that gives you some idea of what to expect, and also some hope that you can get some surprise interview invitations until April or May..

14. merlin

merlin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Last year I had an interview in late October and then three interviews in three days in late December and then one in January and that was it. Of course I left for 5 months after that, but just hang in there. Its still very early. Schools interview through March and April. Relax. Breath. Cheers.

15. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Surfdevl,

Don't feel like it's the seventh inning. Feel more like it's about 5 minutes into the first half, Duhon has the ball, he's looking for Dahntay underneath and he jams it. Super Six, aw yeah.

:)

16. To be honest, I think it's early...but there are scary smart people out there, and schools interview on varying schedules. A few bits:

1) Emory started (I believe) interviewing on or near the 7th of Oct. Oh, and there was this girl who had already had 5 interviews at this one (all at top 10 schools)...that when I felt dumb :)

2) Vandy started interviewing in Aug. and was sending out their 1st acceptances on the 15th of Oct. when I interviewed there (and I thought it was early!!). Some really smart girl had already had 10 interviews by this point. Reinforced my feeling dumb :)

1+2 = Two comparable schools interviewing at totally different times.

A friend of mine, who went to NW med got the bulk of his interviews (to awesome schools) in Dec/Jan. Goes to show ya really can't tell.

Basically, it's completely random and without any notion of rational though...thus mirroring the entire admissions process ;)

Neil

17. batman123

batman123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

"Superstar" applicants (i.e. high GPA/MCAT or curer of AIDS etc.) seem to have had lots (7 or more) interviews now to primarily tip top schools. For the average applicant like myself, I think it's still early, and we'll be getting our invites after the top candidates decide where they're going to go.