Early in the game, but feeling uneasy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably writing this a bit prematurely but figured the earlier the better when it comes to valuable information.

I'm starting to feel uneasy about myself as a medical school candidate even though I am applying exclusively DO

No MCAT yet, will be taking it in May 2016 in order to (hopefully) begin medical school in Fall 2017.

Been to three separate Universities due to moving across the country, I now reside in Colorado though and want to attend Rocky Vista.

APPROXIMATE GPA when combining the 3 schools (and with grade replacement) is rougly a 3.75 with a sGPA probably around 3.4-3.5 at best (again these are approximations)

Now I am a Psych major and in a bachelor of SCIENCE program for it, and many of the classes while were labeled PSYC30xx or PSYC40xx were almost completely scientific in nature (dealing with the mechanism of drugs on specific regions of the body and brain, medications utilized and how they affect neuronal synapses and receptors). So could these POSSIBLY be part of sGPA if there is explanation involved??????

ECs are fairly cookie-cutter:
Shadowing an Internist,
Observing 36 surgeries with a Vascular Surgeon,
200 hrs volunteering in the ER, about
5 months volunteer in the Surgical pre-admission testing dept.
Certified English tutor
Former peer mentor (gave tours of school)
Psych club
Bio club
Taught kids to surf at free surf clinic.
Was home-schooled throughout high school and traveled and competed as a pro surfer (obviously before moving to Colorado)
Looking to get into research before applying

Nothing outstanding though; no 1000s of hours doing anything, no setting up clinics in 3rd world countries or donating a kidney to a random dying person like pre-meds claim they do.

I have Biochemistry and Physics 2 left, and am struggling hard in Physics 2 so I worry about that dropping my sGPA into the 3.2-3.3 category potentially. Just want to be a physician more than anything. MD is out of my league at this point due to grade replacements and some W's and Caribbean is absolutely end of the line resort. So DO is what I want.

Please any advice / words of wisdom????

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are ok so far. To be honest, everyone will say that its too hard to judge without MCAT

ECs are not bad. The surfing thing is really cool. It would have been helpful potentially if you were still doing it (because it is unique and memorable that you competed at a pro level)

Psych classes are all treated the same (I believe they do not count toward sciGPA)

Take some more science courses and raise your sGPA a little

If you can keep your sGPA at 3.5 with grade replacement then you are solid for gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought surfers were supposed to be relaxed and laid back? Haha! I think you are doing fine! If you can afford it, get a tutor for physics. Your EC's are only cookie cutter if you just went through the motions and didn't get anything out of it. If you do reasonably well on the MCAT, keep your GPA in line, and can talk about what you got out of your EC's, I don't see any big problems. I'm definitely no expert, but a little encouragement from your peers doesn't hurt. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Your right on track OP, just study up for the mcat and take when ready and finish out strong with the rest of your classes and you'll be a competitive candidate.

Now I am a Psych major and in a bachelor of SCIENCE program for it, and many of the classes while were labeled PSYC30xx or PSYC40xx were almost completely scientific in nature (dealing with the mechanism of drugs on specific regions of the body and brain, medications utilized and how they affect neuronal synapses and receptors). So could these POSSIBLY be part of sGPA if there is explanation involved??????

No. The B of Science vs. B of Arts doesn't usually matter (in terms of science) and at my previous school, BS just meant you took a lot more credits toward your major than a BA. I mean, you can get a BS in poly sci and you're not taking anything related to a science-focus.

Thanks for the replies, I know the MCAT could make a big difference in either a good or bad way to my overall profile, trying not to stress too much yet.

you're more neurotic than I was/am OP. I didn't know that was possible. you'll be fine...just study hard for the mcat.

you're more neurotic than I was/am OP. I didn't know that was possible. you'll be fine...just study hard for the mcat.

I know I am, I just have this fear of never making it to medical school or at least a US medical school. I don't post here often but I read all the time, especially about pre-med who get rejected with stellar stats.

What might be an appropriate DO school list for some of my stats? Or should I wait til the MCAT?

Can't say anything without the MCAT. Assuming >=60th percentile, you've got good chances.