Early Intervention Psychological Evaluations - Rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych20122

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been working as a school psychologist in NYC conducting assessments with students from early childhood education to high school over the last decade. I recently became licensed and am also entering the realm of EI. I am quickly finding out that licensed psychologists are in high demand to conduct diagnostic evaluations for autism at this level. So, there are lots of EI agencies emailing me and calling me and asking me for my rate.

The problem I am experiencing is that the payout rates for per diem psychological evaluations have ranged from $150 to $400 between different agencies. I am wondering what kind of rates others have accepted for similar kinds of evaluations at the EI level.

Members don't see this ad.

150 is less than the CMS rate for a diagnostic interview (90791 CPT code). Don't do an assessment for that rate!

In NY, do EI assessments come to your office, or do you travel to them? If travellling, those rates are really crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
$150-400 for the entire evaluation? Seriously?
The day that happens, is the day I finally just get a contractors license. I’m not denigrating contractors, I seriously think it would be more worthwhile and certainly more profitable. I may or may have not just received some home improvement quotes lol

1) Per diem or per evaluation? Not that it matters.
2) Those rates are hilariously bad. What's the hourly? Let's say you conduct an interview, AND administer the ADIRs in an hour AND there is no need for any other testing. You still have to score and write that up. How long is that going to take you? Are you in your office where you can continue earning after this evaluation, OR are you at some facility where they have 6 more lined up for you for the rest of the day, OR does this eat up the rest of your day's earning potential? Even if you do that 7 days/week, 365, never getting sick or taking time off, it's only $146k/yr

1) Per diem or per evaluation? Not that it matters.
2) Those rates are hilariously bad. What's the hourly? Let's say you conduct an interview, AND administer the ADIRs in an hour AND there is no need for any other testing. You still have to score and write that up. How long is that going to take you? Are you in your office where you can continue earning after this evaluation, OR are you at some facility where they have 6 more lined up for you for the rest of the day, OR does this eat up the rest of your day's earning potential? Even if you do that 7 days/week, 365, never getting sick or taking time off, it's only $146k/yr
I appreciate the perspective! I work at a school full time testing with an annual salary (school breaks, summers off etc.), so I am basically looking for extra income ventures testing part time. I recently became licensed so I am not fully aware of my options with assessment privately without being a neuropsychologist. I could market myself as an independent evaluator conducting psychoeducational assessments privately, but I know from my profession that it tends to happen in the school districts for free, unless parents want to pay someone privately to go along with whichever diagnoses they need to fulfill agendas.

I appreciate the perspective! I work at a school full time testing with an annual salary (school breaks, summers off etc.), so I am basically looking for extra income ventures testing part time. I recently became licensed so I am not fully aware of my options with assessment privately without being a neuropsychologist. I could market myself as an independent evaluator conducting psychoeducational assessments privately, but I know from my profession that it tends to happen in the school districts for free, unless parents want to pay someone privately to go along with whichever diagnoses they need to fulfill agendas.
Compared to those rates, you might be able to make more money heading to Atlantic City and playing Keno.

You can look up medicare rates to get an idea of what that pays. You should never accept less than that, especially as a side gig. 90791 is the CPT code associated with doing an initial intake. The testing codes are a bit more convoluted, but suffice to say those rates are predatory.

The rate at the clinic when i was a graduate student for such an eval was $500 - in a low cost of living state. What the heck kind of assessment is happening for $150-$400?? I can't even imagine!! Are the $150 people just like "we'll do a vineland and tell you if your kid sounds delayed??"

The rate at the clinic when i was a graduate student for such an eval was $500 - in a low cost of living state. What the heck kind of assessment is happening for $150-$400?? I can't even imagine!! Are the $150 people just like "we'll do a vineland and tell you if your kid sounds delayed??"
It is pretty embarrassing. Over 10 agencies that coordinate evaluations (i.e., developmental, speech, OT, PT, psychological) for EI in NYC and Long Island have offered rates ranging from $125 to $350 per psychological evaluation. That means administer a few tests and write a report. They only really care about whether the infant or toddler meet criteria for autism. It gets better, the agencies expect you to travel to homes without compensation. They basically want you administer the Bayley and do the CARS-2 or ADOS-2. Some of the agencies still stress doing those remotely, which is insane to me.