Early interview that I really want to match at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superhero16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just came from an interview at a program I was very impressed with and, although it is still early, I will probably rank it very high, possibly #1. What steps should I take now and in January/February to increase my chances of matching? I guess I just don't want them to forget about me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I just came from an interview at a program I was very impressed with and, although it is still early, I will probably rank it very high, possibly #1. What steps should I take now and in January/February to increase my chances of matching? I guess I just don't want them to forget about me.

Thanks!

Depends on the specialty you're applying to.

But for example, I'm applying EM and we're told to do a quick thank you email right after interview, and a more extensive "this is why I love you" email in Jan/Feb. Also, since EM is pretty open to it a lot of people will go back to shadow as second look visits.

But I'm sure that sort of thing wouldn't work well in a lot of specialties.

Mention in your post-interview thank you letter/card/email that you were very impressed by the program, why and (although you are at the beginning of your interview trail) that you anticipate ranking them very highly.

Then send a follow-up after you've completed all of your interviews and let them know whether you plan to rank them highly...rank them #1...or that you're still interested. If you decide that you are no longer interested at all, then you needn't send a follow-up at the end of the season.

Keep it all as brief as possible. Bear in mind that no one is forgotten and your correspondences will probably be placed in your file for consideration during ranking.

Good luck.