Early interviews and chance of acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

untpropdpp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any correlation between being chosen to interview early in the season (like august or sept) and increased chances of acceptance after those interviews? Basically- do more people get accepted from the early interviews than mid or later season? I am in the first couple of interview groups for two schools and would like to know if this bodes well or if its just a function of getting my application and secondaries in ASAP. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, yes. Most schools extend early interview invitations to prospective students they're excited about.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any correlation between being chosen to interview early in the season (like august or sept) and increased chances of acceptance after those interviews? Basically- do more people get accepted from the early interviews than mid or later season? I am in the first couple of interview groups for two schools and would like to know if this bodes well or if its just a function of getting my application and secondaries in ASAP. Thanks!
Getting accepted is 100% on you.

That said, at least based upon my experience at my school, the earliest candidates tend to be the best, and the wily old Admissions dean is constantly harping at us that "if you don't take him/her, they'll go elsewhere.

So yes, odds are better for you now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all. I will do my best and hope for the best.

Yes and no. For schools that are non-rolling it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Rolling admissions on the other hand - yes.

At one of my rolling schools I interviewed with the first group and at the end of our interview day the dean had us all take a picture together...we ended up being classmates this year.

While at another school that was non-rolling I interviewed in the 2nd week and ultimately was WL'ed.

Acceptance rate is also a significant factor that plays into it how much early interviews increase your chance of acceptance.

You might be interested in the poll results of LizzyM's informal study on chances of an acceptance among SDNers related to getting at least one interview offer before Thanksgiving: Calling all 2015-2016 applicants