May 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

Question for adcoms/whoever knows:

I was fortunate enough to get a few interview invites this cycle and was told to schedule my interview later (i.e. pick the latest date possible). I was told that applicants are compared to the interview group they are in and that it would be more difficult to secure an acceptance earlier on.

This doesn't sound like it would be right, so I'm still leaning on picking the earlier dates. I would think adcoms give acceptances at a higher percentage to the first groups. But regardless, I need to schedule my interviews soon, so I was wondering if anyone could help me differentiate fact vs fiction in this case. Thank you everyone in advance!

OP
M
May 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
More seats available earlier in process v less seats later in process. What's the question? ;)
I guess the question is: Are you really only compared to the group you were interviewed with?

ridethecliche

Meep Meep Meep
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tied to a library chair
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi everyone,

I was fortunate enough to get a few interview invites this cycle and was told to schedule my interview later (i.e. pick the latest date possible). I was told that applicants are compared to the interview group they are in and that it would be more difficult to secure an acceptance earlier on.

This doesn't sound like it would be right, so I'm still leaning on picking the earlier dates. I would think adcoms give acceptances at a higher percentage to the first groups. But regardless, I need to schedule my interviews soon, so I was wondering if anyone could help me differentiate fact vs fiction in this case. Thank you everyone in advance!
Why would you want to push your own cycle back by choice?

I guess the question is: Are you really only compared to the group you were interviewed with?
Schools know what they're looking for. They're not new to this ya know.

Reactions: Law2Doc and gyngyn
OP
M
May 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Why would you want to push your own cycle back by choice?

So the guy explaining this to me said something like "All of the super competitive applicants interview first, do you really want to be compared against them?"

Lost in Translation

単純な馬鹿でありたい。
2+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
最上川
Status
Medical Student
More seats available earlier in process v less seats later in process. What's the question? ;)
From what I understand, it's like this:

Say there are 10 rounds of interviews and 200 acceptances given out. Each interview day has 40 kids. From each interview day, the school will "budget" 20 acceptances (and some number of waitlists) from those candidates. But this might mean that their criteria for acceptance is more lax at the beginning and gets more stringent towards the end of the season if they end up filling their class too soon.

I could be wrong, but that's how it was explained to me at quite a few if not all (I don't remember) of the schools I interviewed at.

EDIT: You'll be compared to everyone that the school has interviewed up until that point, so if you interview early your competition isn't as stiff. AFAIK schools won't throw you in the acceptance pile in November and then take you back out in January to reevaluate after another batch of interviews has happened. However, if you're an on-the-fence candidate, they won't come to a decision into later on in the cycle. But basically as long as they think you're a good fit for their school, you shouldn't need to worry about this.

Any adcom is free to correct me on this, it's all conjecture. I'm looking into being a student adcom member though so we'll see what info I can bring come next summer.

Reactions: medikle

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Some schools reportedly do look at it similarly to what you've described. Generally the ones that only release acceptances a set number of times, like three times per cycle. They don't look at you with just the people who interview with you per se, but in clusters of times (e.g. before November, Before January, After January). The rumor about schools like this is that they accept/waitlist/reject the same number of people during each of these decision times. If that were true, then for your strategy to benefit you then the people in that last group would need to be weaker applicants. This could be the case, as strong applicants would presumably be invited sooner or maybe turn down interviews there because they are already holding acceptances. But there could be little difference or they could be strong, but later applicants. But at those schools it wouldn't hurt you. But at the majority of rolling admissions schools, then at the very least you're costing yourself the opportunity to turn down costly interview trips to schools you wouldn't attend after an acceptance. But at most you could be interviewing for fewer spots. Or you could have been the first person to be accepted that matches the fit in the class that the adcom has envisioned for you, but now you get waitlisted while they see if that similar person who they already accepted decides to come or not (I don't know that this happens, but it seems logical since some schools don't rank their waitlist with this rationale).

OP
M
May 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
From what I understand, it's like this:

Say there are 10 rounds of interviews and 200 acceptances given out. Each interview day has 40 kids. From each interview day, the school will "budget" 20 acceptances (and some number of waitlists) from those candidates. But this might mean that their criteria for acceptance is more lax at the beginning and gets more stringent towards the end of the season if they end up filling their class too soon.

I could be wrong, but that's how it was explained to me at quite a few if not all (I don't remember) of the schools I interviewed at.

EDIT: You'll be compared to everyone that the school has interviewed up until that point, so if you interview early your competition isn't as stiff. AFAIK schools won't throw you in the acceptance pile in November and then take you back out in January to reevaluate after another batch of interviews has happened. However, if you're an on-the-fence candidate, they won't come to a decision into later on in the cycle. But basically as long as they think you're a good fit for their school, you shouldn't need to worry about this.

Any adcom is free to correct me on this, it's all conjecture. I'm looking into being a student adcom member though so we'll see what info I can bring come next summer.
I guess either way, Ill just schedule it early. I figure there will be competitive applicants at all points during the cycle. I'm grateful for the feedback everyone. thank you!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It's a pre-med delusion that you're at a disadvantage with a later interview. Now, if it was in March, that's a different story. But Sept vs Oct vs Nov? No.

Hi everyone,

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Nope. Another pre-med delusion is that schools invite multiple people to compete for a single seat, like how Yale does tenure for professors. You're competing against yourself.

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
For rolling admissions schools, if you interview earlier, you may get an acceptance earlier, which could potentially save you a lot of money if you can then withdraw from a lot of other schools you wouldn't attend over that one. It would save you money in terms of interview costs and all.

OP
M
May 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
It's a pre-med delusion that you're at a disadvantage with aleter interview. Now, it's it was in March, that's a different story. But Sept vs Oct vs Nov? No.
That is very helpful to know. Thank you :)

GrumpyGus

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I've been scheduling mine as early as possible. Based in part because of my understanding of rolling admissions and in part because I am anxious to get this thing going.
I've been grouping them in interviews of 2-3 per trip because I can't afford to just fly to each school alone lol. Also I wanna travel around the country and spend time in these cities! I've never been to most of them. Tryna make the most out of my opportunities.

Also I want to interview as many before Oct 15 as possible to maximize my chances of getting 1 acceptance then. Sweet relief please come to me.

ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I've been grouping them in interviews of 2-3 per trip because I can't afford to just fly to each school alone lol. Also I wanna travel around the country and spend time in these cities! I've never been to most of them. Tryna make the most out of my opportunities.

Also I want to interview as many before Oct 15 as possible to maximize my chances of getting 1 acceptance then. Sweet relief please come to me.
Yes, same. REALLY hoping for any acceptance on or around 10/15 so I can start discerning which IIs I actually want to accept.

AAAmeds

2+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2016
Status
Is there anything significant about this date or you just chose it randomly?

OP
M
May 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
An acceptance in October would be a dream.

I wonder why med schools invite the students they like the most first (if they do at all? who knows).

Jul 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I've always wondered. Does getting an interview before people who submitted months before you even mean anything or is the process 'random' (aka unknown to us) even in that regard?

ConfusedChemist

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I've always wondered. Does getting an interview before people who submitted months before you even mean anything or is the process 'random' (aka unknown to us) even in that regard?
Either way, does it really matter? Doesn't change anything on your part.

I wouldn't get caught up in those things

ConfusedChemist

2+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Nope doesn't matter at all actually--just curious. I agree with you though!
Of course. I only said that because you're in for a long, stressful year that's going to feel like an emotional rollercoaster. So minimize the worry when you can!

Reactions: jgear645

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
If you have a super-abundance of interview invitations -- so MORE than you can realistically afford to attend -- it might make sense to delay interviews for those schools that are both expensive to get to and low on your preference list. Otherwise, I wouldn't delay --

musicalfeet

5+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2013
Status
It depends on which school you're talking about. Each school I interviewed at did it differently...

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2016
Probably still at work
I've been scheduling mine as early as possible. Based in part because of my understanding of rolling admissions and in part because I am anxious to get this thing going.
Side note...you are gonna do great! I have confidence in your interviews...good luck for whenever they are!

Reactions: ChrisMack390

DoodleDa

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The only difference between rolling and "nonrolling" schools is when they notify the candidate
So you're saying that all medical schools claiming to be non-rolling are actually using a rolling acceptance procedure and should be treated as if they were rolling? Just wanted to make sure because this is my first time hearing about this.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
So you're saying that all medical schools claiming to be non-rolling are actually using a rolling acceptance procedure and should be treated as if they were rolling? Just wanted to make sure because this is my first time hearing about this.
Exactly. Decisions are made on a rolling basis. They are delivered expeditiously by some schools and held back by others.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I was fortunate enough to get a few interview invites this cycle and was told to schedule my interview later (i.e. pick the latest date possible).
This sounds suspiciously like a gunner-initiated ploy to steer you wrong.
They almost got you OP....... they almost got you........
I'm glad you used your better judgement and asked for more input on the issue.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Exactly. Decisions are made on a rolling basis. They are delivered expeditiously by some schools and held back by others.
Certainly all schools have a limiting factor in the number of interview slots that are available which are given out on a rolling basis.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Sorry to bump this, but what is the motivation for holding back decisions from applicants once the decisions have been made?
Simply because an applicant has be found to be qualified for acceptance to medical school, it does not mean that there is necessarily an available seat for them. Over the course of an application cycle, you may find 300-500 qualified candidates but the school only has 100 seats. Those applicants who are rated very highly and have broad based, larger than majority support of an adcom, that may be send acceptances quickly. Parallel to that is those who are deemed not to be qualified by a large majority of an adcom are sent rejections. Now you have a few hundred who are qualified but until acceptances are sent out and confirmations are sent back, an adcom doesnt know how many acceptees will take up offers. Do you start putting together a WL or do you wait until a few hundred of your acceptees withdraw as they take up other offers. So you may be interviewed in September but not get acceptance until March.

Reactions: walloobi