Early interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ekristek

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke with an academic advisor today about how my classes are set up for the rest of my undergrad. semesters (I'm a freshman now). She told me that the best time to study abroad would be during the fall of my senior year. She said that interviews (assuming I get them, of course!) could be scheduled for early August before I leave. From what I've been reading on this board, though, interviews are hardly ever scheduled that early. What do you think the best time to study abroad would be?

Members don't see this ad.

Fall of junior year, provided you are taking the MCAT that spring or plan to take it the summer after your sophmore year. Just my opinion. I would definitely not do any study abroad during your senior year. Even during a regular application cycle, most schools only conduct a small percentage of their total interviews in August. Interviews usually run through April at most schools.

fall of sophomore year

fall of senior WORST TIME TO GO BECAUSE Of interviews

Fall of junior still bad (cuz u will have mcats in april) this is assuming if you take the whole year off!

Fall of sophomore year...nothing particularly important :D have some fun

Members don't see this ad :)
sophomore year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Junior year, Fall. Perfect timing. You will likely have interviews second semester senior year. Besides, why would you want to miss out on one of the best times in your college career? Second semester sr year is a blast.

or, if your major allows it and you don't mind pushing yourself, crunch in your phys and o-chem sophomore year, take the MCAT in August, and then go either semester of Junior year without any worries.

Go on your trip during the summer before sophomore or junior year if you can. Otherwise I'd recommend taking it anytime during sophomore or junior year, but you'll probably want to make college a 5-year experience.

i took a year abroad in ecuador and it was my fifth year of college, this route isn't for everyone, but it doesn't leave one in a crunch for time.

if you want to do the five year thing and if you don't want to take a year off before med school, i would go your fourth year (i'd do the whole year because a semester or couple of quarters just seems to cut the experience short). you could come back your fifth year, take the mcat in april and and apply like a traditional senior.

best of luck.