Early Med School Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevinmw5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore at Texas A&M and I am planning on taking the MCAT in April and applying early. What do ya'll think of this? Advisable, not advisable? How do you think this will affect my admittance process? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

The TMDSAS doesn't open until May (AMCAS later at June), and you'll want to apply after the conclusion of your junior year for admissions after your senior year (assuming you're not graduating in three years). Can't get any earlier than that.

I will have the pre-requisite 90 hours complete by the end of my junior year. I am planning on starting my first year of med school when I should be starting my senior year of undergrad. What do ya'll think of doing that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although many schools leave that open as a possibility, they rarely accept undergrads who will have only completed 3 years. I would guess that loophole is there to allow for exceptional circumstances.

what are your ecs/gpa/etc. like? hard to tell without any of the information that actually determines admittance in the first place

edit: sorry, wasnt paying much attention and didn't see your mdapp.com :)

Hey man class of 08 here.

I advise you stick to the traditional way. You might be lowering your chances by trying to do this, not to mention you could lighten your classload your senior year and relax a bit before diving into med school.

Give me a good reason why you would want to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 besides monetary reasons (i.e. not wanting to pay for sometimes amounts to a "useless" year in college).

In any case, the answer 99.99% of the time is no. If you are that 0.01% of the pre-med population that can actually pull off going to med school after being in college for 3 years, then you wouldn't be asking this question; instead you'd be asking "What does it take to get into med school?" if not already know the answer and start working towards that goal. *heck, honestly you would have needed to plan this since before you were in college to do it right*

So are you graduating a year early? There is a big difference between graduating early and applying, and not graduating and entering medical school.

So are you graduating a year early? There is a big difference between graduating early and applying, and not graduating and entering medical school.

Compared to everything else, the difference is small enough that it doesn't matter. Though if it's the latter, I'd forget the idea completely. It doesn't even make sense.

I have looked into it quite extensively and already have a "game plan" set out to help me achieve this goal. Currently I have a 4.0 gpa, I am actively 3 organizations, officer in 2. I am starting a KAPLAN MCAT prep course on Dec. 1. I was just wondering what ya'll thought of this move. I have also shadowed a doctor consistenly for the last year.

I have only come across one person who was able to pull this off (for dental school). That person had undergone EXTREME hardships early in life. From my perspective, great stats just make you a great regular applicant. The few people that are getting in without undergrad degrees have things under their belts that you DON'T want. But give it a shot. Know that if it doesn't go well, you will be a re-applicant the following year.

seriously, just get an undergrad degree. never know when you might need it. i think, regardless of what you did in undergrad, it would be looked down upon by adcoms to never graduate college, even if they don't "require" it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most, if not all, of the schools I've seen accept applications from people not planning to complete a bachelor's degree, but they all come with a stern warning that this entry route is for exceptional cases. I took this to mean that it's primarily geared toward non-traditional applicants. I wouldn't recommend that you do this. It's extremely risky, especially if you're turned down.

If you're going to graduate with a degree in three years, though, it's entirely possible to enter medical school afterwards. If you aren't accepted in the first try, you can take that fourth year to strengthen your application and reapply as you normally would.

The reward isn't worth the risk. Let's say it did work.

You get in after 3 years of undergrad - You endure 3 years of rushing through the classes and taking heavy courloads. You have 1 less year than everyone else to prepare for the MCAT. All that work means you won't have as much free time to a.)volunteer and b.)have a life, which ultimately makes you a weaker applicant, PLUS you probably aren't going to have a lot of upper-level electives that might make you a more attractive aplpicant. But if you get in you can save yourself a year of your life. If you don't, it'll probably be another year in undergrad and working up your application so you can reapply.

You take the normal route: You get an extra year to prepare for the MCAT, you can relax a bit more while you're still an underclassman, after the application season is over you can take some more classes that you'd like to take your senior year while you build up your app even more.

Just take your time and enjoy what's left of college life.

Would med schools look down upon this if I got rejected the first year around when I reapply the second year? I would think that it shows dedication and desire to become a part of the medical field. Do ya'll think differently?

Would med schools look down upon this if I got rejected the first year around when I reapply the second year? I would think that it shows dedication and desire to become a part of the medical field. Do ya'll think differently?

it would depend. if you just reapplied, yes that would look bad. if you spent that next year putting all your efforts into fixing the weak spots on your app, it would not be looked down upon.

Everyone is warning you that, even though, on paper, it is possible to apply under the conditions you have described, it is unwise. All of the things you are doing will be benefit your application, if you wait until the normal time. They will not enable you to matriculate a year early. Look, adcomms frown on people who drop their Masters or Ph.D. programs in order to apply. They certainly do not approve of applicants who are attempting to short change their undergraduate education. If you apply a year, the chances are extremely strong that you would not be seriously considered as a candidate for any school. It wouldn't just be a waste of money, it would harm your chances the following year, because you would then be required to apply as a re-applicant. Your chances of being admitted would be diminished.

Right now you are on the right track to apply at the proper time, but nothing you have posted indicates that you are an exceptionally stellar applicant. 4.0 at the end of freshman year is good, but it's no big deal. Having three EC's and shadowing experience is good, but doesn't stand out, either. You need time to build on these and to show that you can maintain your track record. You need time to mature. You need more than 90 hours worth of credits, unless you have considerable life experiences which make up for the difference.

Kevin, you do realize that having 90 credit hours at the end of Jr. yr. isn't only nothing special, it's the minimum requirement to advance to being a senior, right? It's a track for taking just enough classes to obtain your degree on time, with minimum effort or enthusiasm. Also, perhaps you are an active participant in three organizations, instead of, as you said, "I am actively three organizations." Practice your writing and communication skills. Doing that will serve you well when it comes to performing on the MCAT and submitting essays for applications.

I realize that what you want to do is tempting, and I'm sure there are people who do that without realizing the implications, but since you have been strongly warned, it would be foolish to go the route you have planned.

I am also on the fast track to getting my BS in Biology in three years. Is applying in three years generally looked down upon, or does it depend on the stats?

My workload includes two graduate classes (embryology and endocrinology) and I am also minoring in English.

3.8GPA

I haven't taken the MCAT yet (April 2008), but I've received a score of 42 on the practice test I took.

My extracurriculars are lacking (I have a few clubs, and I'm shadowing) but I plan to try to ameliorate that by volunteering this summer. I'm not looking to get into Harvard or anything but rather a state school (SUNY system) or something else in the New York area?

Are my chances greatly lowered by graduating early?

edit: I'll have 130 credits by the end of Junior year.

First as a native Texan I have to correct you: Y'all, not ya'll. Get your regional vernacular straight.

Don't do this. You're a sophomore. You think you're awesome, you probably are. You think extra classes in Art History and Inorganic Chemistry aren't going to help make you a doctor. You're right about that. But it doesn't matter -- medical school admissions is a game. Play the same rules as everyone else. If god forbid you drop out of an MD program at least you'll have a degree from a .... decent ... school (Horns 4 life).

Actually, how about this.

Make a pro/con list for trying to apply a year early. We'll see what you come up with.

doctorinternet, your situation is different because you are talking about GRADUATING after 3 years. You would have a better chance. The OP is (hopefully, for his sake, was) considering bugging out on getting his bachelor's.

If you are an outstanding candidate, then, yes, you would have a chance. There would be questions about why you sped through, but if you have a convincing reply, you would still get consideration at many schools. However, your chances would still improve if you spent that extra year in school because you would have more experiences, be more mature, and have an even more impressive CV. In your case, the impact would be much less significant than for the OP.

Actually, I'm in about the same boat that you described, except that I'll probably have a few more credits & my current GPA is a bit higher, and I spend all the time I can in a research lab, and have stayed involved in a long term volunteer activity. I'm being careful to NOT take one humanities course so that I won't graduate early. For me, it's a personal decision because there are so many upper level courses that I want to take, and because I wouldn't be able to take part in as many summer experiences if I were to be graduated early.

OP, we're not trying to be cruel. Reapplicants have to show significant growth between applications. Applying too early really can harm your chances down the road. It's better for you to come to grips with this now, than to fail to ever be accepted because you were in too big of a hurry.

For starters...I'm not going to worry much about my grammar and the way I phrase things on an internet message board.

Second of all, I think that I am going to go ahead with applying early and look at it as a great experience, a possibility to grow, and of course a possible acceptance into medical school.

If I do not get accepted to a medical school then I will work hard my senior year to improve myself as an applicant and get ready to apply again.

The major that I am currently in has a program that I can be a part of that will count my first year of medical school as my senior year of undergraduate work. So at the end of my first year of medical school, I will recieve my degree from Texas A&M University. I do not plan on going without a undergrad degree as that would be plain stupid...

It seems you have done your homework on this matter. I say you've done well so go for it! Just try to do well on your MCATs. I think your head is in the right place and you have your own strong reasons for doing it. With a 4.0 behind you, it demonstrates you are focused and ready for the challenge. I think it will work. Good luck, as well as good job!

Thank you DocMode...

I have enrolled in a KAPLAN MCAT prep course that starts 12/1 so I'm hoping that will help me for the April MCAT...Wish me luck on the long process ahead of me!

What do you have to offer that most of the other applicants can't? You're already at a disadvantage because you are applying without a degree, so that thing you have to offer better be AWESOME.

I recommend that you save your money and apply later when you can prove to the schools that you can handle upper-division courses.

The major that I am currently in has a program that I can be a part of that will count my first year of medical school as my senior year of undergraduate work. So at the end of my first year of medical school, I will recieve my degree from Texas A&M University. I do not plan on going without a undergrad degree as that would be plain stupid...

:laugh: Looks like you left out critical bits of information when asking your questions. So, you got advise based on the cards in your hand, not the ones in your pocket.

True, true...I am still looking into all the intracies of the program first however.

Yeah - going with 3 years and no undergrad degree would be bad.

Going into a program specifically made for that should be ok, assuming the med school you're applying to is linked to that program.

Going in after finishing undergrad in 3 years is definitely done. I wouldn't recommend it but at least 4 people in my class of 100 did that.

For starters...I'm not going to worry much about my grammar and the way I phrase things on an internet message board.

Second of all, I think that I am going to go ahead with applying early and look at it as a great experience, a possibility to grow, and of course a possible acceptance into medical school.

If I do not get accepted to a medical school then I will work hard my senior year to improve myself as an applicant and get ready to apply again.

Why didn't you say that in your first post? That basically nullifies all the advice everyone has given you.

it is possible to get into medical school after your junior year, but the odds aren't very good due to the fact that they have 2 years of your grades and ECs instead of 3.

The first thing they will question is your maturity. As long as you very mature for your age and put together a very solid application, it can be done.

I consider myself rather mature for a 19 year old...very responsible in many aspects of life, not just school. I will be 20 when I take the MCAT and apply, granted that is a little younger than your average applicant, I think I will be able to survive.

I consider myself rather mature for a 19 year old...very responsible in many aspects of life, not just school. I will be 20 when I take the MCAT and apply, granted that is a little younger than your average applicant, I think I will be able to survive.

Hey if you can do it, HUGE props man. Let me know how it turns out!, but personally I would rather have another year of partying, errr i mean studying.

LOL I'm not really the party type (I go to them...just don't drink which is what I'm guessing you are referring to)

I think the main thing that I would miss from that extra year is A&M Basketball and Football.

So I'm a little confused ... what exactly are you going to put on your AMCAS for classes? By the time you finish filling it out next June you'll only have finished 4 semesters of classes. Everything from junior year the ADCOMs won't see except by update and I find that to be a major disadvantage above and beyond not taking classes senior year at all which, as you mention, is basically nullified by your school's program.

You seem really, for lack of a better word, flippant about the application process. Do you realize that the second time around you have to mark that you're a re-applicant if you unsuccessfully go thru with this? Do you realize that if you're accepted to even one school that isn't "as good" as you think you can do, you're basically required to go there as withdrawing will crush your future admission standards? Do you realize this process will cost you thousands of dollars and a huge chunk of your time junior year for interviews? Are you planning on just applying to Texas A&M's medical school early decision or is this going to be a full-blown 20+ schools application cycle? Do you have professors that you know well enough already to write strong LORs? How many non-science courses have you taken? Foreign language?

Also, you mention the pre-requisite 90 hours but I don't know what school(s) you are talking about because most every school I applied to required an undergraduate degree for matriculation.

If I seem hostile about this it's because I think you're potentially blowing time, money, and opportunity because of impatience. I'm sure you'll make a good candidate as a senior too.

Am I the only one that smirks when these questions come up and the applicant has to forcibly "sell" themself because the advice is not what they want?
Yeah, this one is especially bad. "What should I do?" Then they get every poster on SDN to tell them not to do it, yet they're stubborn enough to ignore everyone's advice and do it anyway. If that's how you feel Kevin, why did you even bother posting?

I have talked to a lot of people, both at medical schools and professinal school advisors about this. Some medical schools said they would not consider me pretty much, others say that as of now my stats look good and if I keep it up then they don't see why I shouldn't apply.

One of the things that is holding me back is what IHeartNerds said about me having to go where I get accepted even if it isn't one of my top choices.

From what I have read and heard, having to mark that you are a re-applicant isn't harmful in any way if you are able to show that you have made improvements in your "weak" areas.

The three main drawbacks from doing this that I have heard are:

1. I have to go wherever I get accepted
2. I will have to make a whole new application the second time around if I don't get accepted
3. It is a potential "waste" of money

I have responses to those drawbacks, numbered respectively:

1. I can apply to places that I would want to go to (of course not only top schools, but places that I would truly be happy with going to)
2. I would not mind putting in the time to remake my application (yes I know it is a timely process)
3. The reason I put waste in parentheses was due to the fact that I would consider it an invaluable learning experience, and face it, we're all going to be in debt sooner or later with this whole medical school ordeal

If anyone can think of any other top pros/cons that I may not have considered yet, please let me know. I have done a lot of research thus far, but the more the merrier!

You need to remember that if you apply and turn down an acceptance that school will no longer need your business. Puts a black cloud on the whole situation. Be humble and don't think that "School of Crappy Medicine" can be denied (your acceptance) because you "have" what it takes to get into "Jonas Salk School of Medicine."

I say go for it kevin. If you think you're ready for it, why not try?

In Canada, there are plenty of applicants who don't finish their undergraduate degree and enter med school, some even enter after only completing 2 yrs. If you do go into medicine, nobody will care that you don't have an undergraduate degree. Plus as you said, even if you don't get in this time around, at least you would have learnt a lot through the process.

Also for the MCAT, after 2 years of university classes you should be ready for it. I would even say 1 year is enough, you would just have to self study organic chemistry.

I say go for it kevin. If you think you're ready for it, why not try?

In Canada, there are plenty of applicants who don't finish their undergraduate degree and enter med school, some even enter after only completing 2 yrs. If you do go into medicine, nobody will care that you don't have an undergraduate degree. Plus as you said, even if you don't get in this time around, at least you would have learnt a lot through the process.

Also for the MCAT, after 2 years of university classes you should be ready for it. I would even say 1 year is enough, you would just have to self study organic chemistry.

My question is why?? Does someone's college experience suck so bad that they would rather self study o-chem to take the MCAT than to take it as a class. I may be wrong but college was a time for me to grow up and learn what I wanted out of life. I think the risks out weigh the reward.

I have a question because you are in Texas, and the Texas process is unique. Does the program your school offers which enables students to enroll in a med school after the 3rd year and to count classes from MS-1 as their senior apply to a single, specifically affiliated, med school? If it does, then I understand your plight a bit better.

I have a question because you are in Texas, and the Texas process is unique. Does the program your school offers which enables students to enroll in a med school after the 3rd year and to count classes from MS-1 as their senior apply to a single, specifically affiliated, med school? If it does, then I understand your plight a bit better.

I believe it is any professional school. As long as I have the basics out of the way by the time I leave A&M I can be a part of this program. I set up a meeting on Tuesday morning with an advisor who will further inform me about this program. No matter what, I need to have a degree to fall back on if something were to go as I had not foreseen.

I know that I won't be able to be "picky" about which medical school I get accepted to. If I only get accepted to one...I have to go to that one. Otherwise it would seem as though I am not willing to do whatever it takes to become a physician.

Does anyone else have further details/debates that I should consider?

You need to remember that if you apply and turn down an acceptance that school will no longer need your business. Puts a black cloud on the whole situation. Be humble and don't think that "School of Crappy Medicine" can be denied (your acceptance) because you "have" what it takes to get into "Jonas Salk School of Medicine."

If you turn down any acceptance to apply again next year, you will never go to medical school. At all.

This is why the first time should be the only time for most people if you are aiming to get into a school that you'll be happy with for the rest of your life.

If you turn down any acceptance to apply again next year, you will never go to medical school. At all.

This is why the first time should be the only time for most people if you are aiming to get into a school that you'll be happy with for the rest of your life.

I have heard that before and have taken good note of that. Good point indeed.

You must not be talking about the JAMP or the Partners in Rural Medicine programs, because you would have needed to already have applied to those. Are you talking about the one where you can earn a BS in Zoology after the first year in a professional school?

Is this what you're talking about?

"Baccalaureate Degree Option for Students Granted Early Admission to Medical/Professional Programs
A minimum of 128 hours is required for a Texas A&M University undergraduate degree. Some degree programs require additional hours (see specific degree requirements for each major in this catalog). Students from undergraduate programs who are selected early into participating programs in medicine, dentistry, optometry or veterinary medicine must have satisfied all University Core Curriculum requirements as specified in this catalog. A student intending to use this baccalaureate degree option must coordinate early in his or her program with the appropriate undergraduate advisor in order to ensure that degree requirements are met. The degree candidate must complete at least half of the total hours required for the baccalaureate degree while in residence at Texas A&M University. This requirement includes a minimum of 24 hours of upper division courses in residence, of which a minimum of 12 must be in the major. A student will become eligible for the Texas A&M degree upon completion of the total credit hours required by his or her undergraduate degree plan. Each undergraduate major specifies those professional courses that may be used to satisfy its degree plan.​
A student then selected into an approved professional program will be required to successfully complete a minimum of one full year of acceptable work at an accredited school of medicine, dentistry, optometry or veterinary medicine in the United States. The student will be responsible for submitting official transcripts to the Office of Admissions and Records to verify completion of agreement requirements. The participating undergraduate department or program will complete the required degree audit, approve the necessary substitutions and clear the student to graduate.​
Baccalaureate degrees will be awarded in May, August and December after the completion of the first year of the approved professional program or the necessary hours for the desired baccalaureate degree. Students must apply for graduation at degreeapp.tamu.edu. Check the academic calendar on page for deadlines and for commencement dates. Questions may be emailed to [email protected] or call (979) 845-1089. For additional information about graduation, visit the website graduation.tamu.edu.
Students who have received a baccalaureate degree are not eligible to participate. Individuals who would have been eligible to participate in this program had it been in effect when they were students at Texas A&M University may request the conferral of a baccalaureate degree. Although this is a University-wide policy, not all colleges choose to participate. The use of this baccalaureate option will remain a college initiative in that each individual college and/or program must clear each candidate for graduation."​

"Early Admission Option to Professional Schools
of Dentistry or Medicine

Although most medical and dental schools require a minimum of three years of undergraduate college work before considering an application to their programs, the vast majority of entering medical and dental students have four years of college work and a bachelor’s degree. The number of students accepted prior to completion of the baccalaureate degree is very low. Therefore, most students interested in a career in medicine or dentistry are encouraged to pursue a four-year undergraduate curriculum. Exceptional students who gain admission to medical or dental school after three years of undergraduate work will qualify for a B.S. degree in Zoology upon successful completion of the first year of professional school and the program of courses outlined below."

Those came from A&M Course Catalog and can found at the following URL's:
http://www.tamu.edu/admissions/cata...dCatalog/Source/B-Gen Info/Bacc_Degree_Op.htm

http://www.tamu.edu/admissions/catalogs/06-07_UG_Catalog/science/dept_biology/early_admit_opt.htm

Darn, you're making me have to do too much investigative work in order to more clearly understand your exact situation. Most people are NOT from Texas. We don't know what the heck you're talking about unless you fill in the blanks.

BTW, I sort of agree with you that the money spent during a failed admission attempt isn't necessarily a waste, because it's a learning experience. I agree as long as it's your own money that you're spending, instead of your parents'. People tend to be more frugal when it's coming out of their own pockets. When it's someone else's money, the learning experience is diminished, though.

I will be helping my parents pay for this...I truly want to pay for it because my parents have already done so much for me. Currently they have a total of 3 kids at A&M...so they aren't exactly overflowing with money. I have been working since 6th grade and have a saved probably 90% of my earnings. I figure this is a good time to start spending some money considering it is a life changing event.

As for the degree, as I said I will have more information about it after Tuesday morning when I have my meeting with my advisor. From my understanding as of now, I just have to have my basics out of the way. Pretty much my first year of med school will take place of all the senior year electives I would be taking.

Gotta go out to dinner...

Not to be negative Nancy but what are you going to do if you don't matriculate? Finish your degree or apply again? 2 or 3X into the application cycle is going to take a toll on you and you'll still have to complete a BS or BA.

If I do not matriculate I would just stay at A&M and finish off my senior year.