Early re-applying with 29S MCAT (need retake) = death?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeftOfTheDial

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

So I'm new to this forum. Actually, I've tried to avoid it because I'm in denial of all my post-secondary rejections *sigh*.

But reading everyone's post have really lifted my spirits up and I'm hoping I can receive some advice from you guys.

I sent in my AMCAS app June 20 '07, but I ended up taking the August MCAT. I had my secondaries turned in during October because that's when I got my MCAT scores back: 29S (10P, 8V, 11B).

My GPA is 3.97.

Some of my ECs include: volunteer EMT work at my school, volunteer EMT work at a federal medical disaster team, candy striper work, hospital interning (radiology, pharm, ER, labor and delivery), Teaching assistantship for general bio lab and general chem lab, research assistant [I'm writing an undergrad thesis for an honors program I'm in; professor says he wants to see if someone will publish our project during the summer], volunteer tutoring for disadvantage students, paid tutoring, various honors societies, honors awards in chemistry, and student athlete in rowing.

I think I had a piss poor PS. That's definitely going to be rewritten.

Most of the schools I applied to were the UC's; I also applied to private schools out of state (Loyola Chicago, Drexel, etc); I got rejected right away post secondary from my top school (USC); I'm waiting for more rejections now because it's getting late in the game.

I decided to apply to MPH programs so I'm waiting on those schools, but I still want to apply to medical schools this cycle.

What I wanted to ask is how I should go about reapplying.

What I think I should do is apply right away in the beginning of June (sort of what I did last time). This time I have an MCAT score, and here's the problem: I am definitely retaking the MCAT (probably July, but most likely August) but I'm worried I'm going to get denied right away. Last time I got all my secondaries pre-MCAT from all the schools I paid for, but I don't know if my 29S will harm me this time. I somewhat think I got rejected because I applied my secondaries pretty late (mid October). If that's the case then I'm going to reapply, but if not then maybe I should just wait a cycle.

Anyway, sorry I just wrote out my life story.

I was wondering if anyone thinks the fault just lied in my timing. I'm also wondering if having a 29 and applying early is a good idea even though I'm definitely retaking the MCAT.

I also shouldn't check the retake MCAT box, right?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How many schools did you apply to the first time 'round? Your stats look decent (especially your GPA!) and you have the necessary extra-currics: volunteering, clinical experience, research, etc. If you're going to retake the MCAT, make darn sure you're going to significantly increase your score (study hard, take a prep class, do extra practice tests, whatever it takes).

The only advice I can give for next cycle is to apply BROADLY and EARLY!

Best of luck.

If your plan is to retake the MCAT, why are you waiting until August to take it? That sounds like the only part of your app that is holding you back. Your gpa is outstanding, but CA schools are very competitive. I'd start studying for the MCAT now and take it by the end of June if at all possible. If you do take it later, still apply early and fill out the secondaries asap.
Call the schools that rejected you and get some feedback on your app. Maybe there was something else besides your MCAT that was a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with gman - get feedback on why you were rejected and you may find that it wasn't your MCAT. Sure over a 30 would look great, but there are plenty of students that get in with a 29. Also, if you do need to retake it, do it as early as possible. Get the AMCAS in by July and get the secondaries done and out by September. I heard from so many more schools before Christmas because of applying early. Finally apply broadly and consider schools outside of California if that is an option.

Your GPA is excellent and your MCAT is within the acceptable range for many schools. My feeling is that you 1) did not apply to enough schools; 2) may have come across as a lukewarm applicant in either your essay or by a lack of meaningful contact with physicians. The good news is that the previous two issues are easy to resolve.

Doing another degree is a huge waste of time and money, IMHO - assuming you are doing it for the sole purpose of 'strengthening' your credentials or filling the time. The MPH for its own sake is a different story but, frankly, your undergraduate grades are great and the weight of graduate school grades in the admission process is only marginal in most cases.

Most schools screen the MCAT for no section lower than an 8. If you think you can get at least another two points, I would retake the MCAT and apply to >20 schools (a mix of state and private schools). Keep in mind that the average applicant applies to around 15 schools. With your credentials, you should gain admission. Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the advice!!!

I applied to all the UCs, Loyola of Chicago, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, and University of Maryland. Wide and broad? Not really. :)

I sort of went on doomsday mode and panicked because I thought med schools would never accept me. I fell back on my other interest in research and applied to environmental health sciences MPH programs. I reasoned that I if I finished I could apply again (this time under MD/PhD... I know, overshooting goals here; also apply to some DOs).

I know what you mean exactly! I can give myself many reason I would like to earn an MPH, but the same time, my goal of getting an MPH is really to boost credentials because I can squeeze in extra research and volunteer opportunities at those schools (USC told me I lacked experience with the poor and marginalized).

I don't know what to do. I think all of you are right! The rejection letters are probably impairing my judgement. :)

Hey guys, thanks for the advice!!!

I applied to all the UCs, Loyola of Chicago, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, and University of Maryland. Wide and broad? Not really. :)

But that's only, what, 10 programs? I'd probably expand that to 15-20, IMHO.

Or to 30. You can earn back a couple of bucks, and you can turn down interview offers. You can't get back a year waiting to re-apply.

Agreed, I was being conservative. :)

I had "average" stats as an undergrad and applied to a ton of schools - probably over 25.

29S isn't bad. Look at my *fabulous* score of 28O~ on mdapps. The key is to apply EARLY and BROADLY! (oh yeah, tweeking up my PS helped, too, with this round.) Good luck~! :luck:

A 29 isn't bad.. But, that 8 in VR is cutting it really close. From what I hear, a lot of admissions committee's put more weight on the VR section than any other.
I would be more confident with a 9,10, 11 or something like that for a 29. Get that VR up!

I thought I'd drop by since I got the same score the first time I took the test.

I'd say retake the MCAT if you still kinda remember stuff. Then again, if you plan to do it, be confident. If you work hard (which you obviously can.. by looking at your gpa) you can do it.

I got a 29 in August 2007 then a 37 in Jan 2008

Big improvements can be made on your MCAT by trying to figure out how to attack the test. I made a post in the 30+ MCAT study habits thread somewhere near the end if you want more info.

A 29 is kind of below the border, especially with the schools you are interested in... you never know though, retaking that 29 could be one of the best moves you've made. I know that if I had gotten a 30, I wouldn't have retaken. That 29 could be a blessing in disguise. Go for it and be confident!

Members don't see this ad :)
29S isn't bad. Look at my *fabulous* score of 28O~ on mdapps. The key is to apply EARLY and BROADLY! (oh yeah, tweeking up my PS helped, too, with this round.) Good luck~! :luck:

Wow you got into MCW, then definitely OP should apply early early early! I think my MCW secondary was in by the end of July ~25th and I didn't even get an interview and I'm a WI resident!

And OMG 30 schools! How do you all afford that!? Things have changed so much over the last 5 or so years they use to recommend 10-15 schools for average applicants.

I only took the MCAT once I couldn't see going through that stress again although I am ~87% sure I could have done better. And I could not afford to apply to that many schools let alone more than one application cycle. But I'm thrilled with the DO school I got into.

Like the OP, I have 3.93 BCPM, 3.90 AO, and 29R MCAT. If you click on my MDAPP (feel free to leave comments there also), you can also check what kind of extracurriculars and experiences I have done. I was wondering if you can also critically evaluate and handicap me to whether a reapplication should be done. I say this as I am waiting on one more school for a decision. I only got 3 interviews after initially applying to 16 schools. I received 2 alternate notifications thus far. The third school interviewed me on 2/21 and I called to see that I was scheduled to be on the agenda last Tuesday. So far, I have heard nothing and I do not know if they have any spots left in the class.

I am staying positive, but also realistic of the situation at hand. Hopefully, I get in so I do not have to waste a year.

IMO, if you have an MCAT score less then 30, then you need to really broaden your number and range of applications. That is not the situation where you apply mainly to Ivy League/top tier schools and one or two other programs. I would also have an strong interest in medicine evident in you CV (ie clinical work/volunteer experience, clinical research, etc.)

If you retake it and still do less then optimal, I would think about postbac or graduate studies, then retaking the MCAT. Committee's look at trends. If your overall GPA isn't great, then at least you last year or two of academic work should be. Also, GPA really is dependent on what you took and where you took it. A 4.0 in a couple of classes at the local community college is not the same as a 4.0 in 600-700 level chemistry classes at Cal Tech. This fact is not lost on committees.

I do not see a situation were taking the MCAT a 3rd time without having made major changes to you CV makes sense.

Hey!

So I'm new to this forum. Actually, I've tried to avoid it because I'm in denial of all my post-secondary rejections *sigh*.

But reading everyone's post have really lifted my spirits up and I'm hoping I can receive some advice from you guys.

I sent in my AMCAS app June 20 '07, but I ended up taking the August MCAT. I had my secondaries turned in during October because that's when I got my MCAT scores back: 29S (10P, 8V, 11B).

My GPA is 3.97.

Some of my ECs include: volunteer EMT work at my school, volunteer EMT work at a federal medical disaster team, candy striper work, hospital interning (radiology, pharm, ER, labor and delivery), Teaching assistantship for general bio lab and general chem lab, research assistant [I'm writing an undergrad thesis for an honors program I'm in; professor says he wants to see if someone will publish our project during the summer], volunteer tutoring for disadvantage students, paid tutoring, various honors societies, honors awards in chemistry, and student athlete in rowing.

Most of the schools I applied to were the UC's; I also applied to private schools out of state (Loyola Chicago, Drexel, etc); I got rejected right away post secondary from my top school (USC); I'm waiting for more rejections now because it's getting late in the game.

I decided to apply to MPH programs so I'm waiting on those schools, but I still want to apply to medical schools this cycle.

What I think I should do is apply right away in the beginning of June (sort of what I did last time). This time I have an MCAT score, and here's the problem: I am definitely retaking the MCAT (probably July, but most likely August) but I'm worried I'm going to get denied right away. Last time I got all my secondaries pre-MCAT from all the schools I paid for, but I don't know if my 29S will harm me this time. I somewhat think I got rejected because I applied my secondaries pretty late (mid October). If that's the case then I'm going to reapply, but if not then maybe I should just wait a cycle.

I was wondering if anyone thinks the fault just lied in my timing. I'm also wondering if having a 29 and applying early is a good idea even though I'm definitely retaking the MCAT.

Thanks!

are you my twin?
MCAT: 29T (10PS, 8VR, 11BS) .. i was like wtf? when i saw PS because i was getting 12-15s
GPA: 3.71
application complete late october (10/24) due to LoR .. research publications are still in the works ..
ECs: OEC-T (national ski patrol); varsity rower; received gen chem award .. check out mdapplicants profile ..

right now i'm applying all in state and have 3 waitlisted schools, 2 rejections, 1 silent treatment (6 schools total)

Hey!

My GPA is 3.97.

Thanks!

are you my twin?
MCAT: 29T (10PS, 8VR, 11BS)
GPA: 3.71
ECs: OEC-T (national ski patrol); varsity rower; tutor; received gen chem award .. check out mdapplicants profile ..

right now i'm applying all in state and have 3 waitlisted schools, 2 rejections, 1 silent treatment (6 schools total)

my advice to you: Check out drexel's IMS program (application deadline for 2008 entry is July 1st I believe), or see whether other schools offer such programs. For $22K, you enter into medical school, take their exams and whatknot, and see how you do. Your performance will show whether you can handle the curriculum, and, if you realize that it's not for you when your there, well then you'll be glad you did it.

are you asking if a 29S will keep you from getting secondaries? is that what you mean by "holding you back"? I applied with a 29S and got every screened secondary I applied to, and my GPA Is significantly lower than yours, although i didn't apply to UC's

but I would agree with what others said about maybe scheduling your re-take for earlier than late summer if you really are concerned about it hurting your app...

The only advice I can give for next cycle is to apply BROADLY and EARLY!

Do what Blade28 says and/or retake the MCAT if you feel as if you can improve drastically. For me, if I don't get in, I am just going to reapply again and not risk taking the MCAT for fear of losing my score standing. Whatever you do, good luck!:luck:

You should work on your piss poor personal statement. I hear it's pretty important.

Getting a 29 is a real bummer because it is one point shy of a 30, the score you need to be competitive at most Allopathic programs, if you are going for a DO a 29 is good enough. The psychological difference between a 29 and 30 is a very big deal to most adcoms at MD programs.

I've learned the hard way that the UCs are pretty harsh on their interview and acceptance offers. You seem like you want to stay in California, so did you consider Loma Linda? And don't forget about the Medical College of Wisconsin. I think they love California residents. Good luck