Early step 3 and licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakesaw

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could there be any possible drawback to passing step 3 prior to residency in terms of licensure? Namely, could a state medical board take issue with step 3 being passed before intern year is complete?

FWIW I recently passed using a combo of usmleworld mcq's and usmlesteps123.com ccs cases.

(I'm an IMG...I don't believe AMG's can take step 3 prior to residency)

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know, AMG's can take Step 3 before residency if they want.

Also I really don't see any real downside to taking step 3 before intern year or residency. The goal of step 3 is just to test that you know how to manage patients in certain situations. If anything its just being ahead of the curve a bit and can only help you on your applications since programs wouldn't have to worry about you taking time off / reimbursing you for / or failing step 3.

You may take step 3 as soon as you are graduated from med school. However, you can't register for the exam until you have graduated from med school, so most people take it during the middle of pgy1 or pgy2.

Could there be any possible drawback to passing step 3 prior to residency in terms of licensure? Namely, could a state medical board take issue with step 3 being passed before intern year is complete?

FWIW I recently passed using a combo of usmleworld mcq's and usmlesteps123.com ccs cases.

(I'm an IMG...I don't believe AMG's can take step 3 prior to residency)

no, it shouldn't be an issue. having that out of the way is a good thing.

depending on which state you are applying for licensure, you can't apply during your intern year anyway (for example, in california, you can't apply for licensure until you've completed your first year of post graduate training).