Early vs Late Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d-dimer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on going to an interview for residency either mid October or early January.
My thoughts are going to an interview early in the season, I will be interviewed by people who aren't exhausted interviewing x amount of applicants before me, but I'll probably be forgotten come ranking time.
Going to an interview early January will make me fresh in their minds, but they'll probably be already over it that late in the season. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm debating on going to an interview either mid October or early January.
My thoughts are going to an interview early in the season, I will be interviewed by people who aren't exhausted interviewing x amount of applicants before me, but I'll probably be forgotten come ranking time.
Going to an interview early January will make me fresh in their minds, but they'll probably be already over it that late in the season. Thoughts?

Although early interviews are definitely better because of the amount of seats still available, I feel like you should go with the date that you feel more comfortable interviewing with. At the end of the day, I have had friends accepted at the beginning of the cycle and others accepted at the end. If you feel like you will be on your A game in January then definitely pick that, but if not then there is no harm in an October one. Pick the one that you are going to be your best at. (think about weather, transportation, etc.. too)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm debating on going to an interview either mid October or early January.
January is not late for the interview season.

March/April? That's when my school starts getting picky.

Members don't see this ad :)
He must be talking about residency interviews or he would be in the premed forum

Oh what am I doing here I thought this was pre-med. leaving bye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its med school, do the Oct time, if its residency it doesn't matter.

My advice is that if its residency and you like the place, go to the later interview, because you'll also be better after having already interviewed at multiple places compared to early in the season when you're not as much of a pro at meeting new people and answering the same questions over and over.

Now if you don't like the place, you could go two ways, get it over with in Oct and use it as practice or leave it until the end and cancel it if you're tired of/have gotten too many interviews by then.

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat. I’ve decided to put the best for last. That way I will be polished with my answers