Earning bachelors in more than 4 years will it hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain_America07

Reaction score
Due to being active duty army I didnt have the time to attend school full time and It took me longer to get my bachelors degree (Around 6 years) Will this hinder my application process? How could I make my application stronger if so?

Members don't see this ad.

This will not hurt your application. If anything, being in the armed forces will give a boost to your application.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your grades matter far more than how long it takes

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your service! Applicants with a military backround in my experience adjust well to med school. They understand a chain of command, having a Boss if you will. They are prompt, able to achieve goals and objectives while being adaptable. Most importantly, dealing with set backs.
One of my advisees was a Naval Academy grad. She failed the 1st anatomy test and I had to meet with her. She said it was her fault, and it won't happen again. No angst, or despair, just the resolve to change strategy and prepare for the next exam. She went on to graduate, never failing another exam. Just an example of how applicants with real world experience, in my view, have an easier time adapting to medical school. Good luck and best wishes! I hope you apply to our school.

Reactions: 4 users
Due to being active duty army I didnt have the time to attend school full time and It took me longer to get my bachelors degree (Around 6 years) Will this hinder my application process? How could I make my application stronger if so?
It's a premed delusion that you have to get your degree in four straight years.

Many thanks for your service! HOOOOOOAAAAAH!

Thank you all for the advice! Initially I was paranoid about it but I feel better now haha

Reactions: 1 user