Ease of going to dental school then practicing somewhere else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThunderUp64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am stuck deciding between two dental schools: my state school and a private school on the East Coast. Both are excellent programs, but I am still thinking about whether it is more appropriate to attend my state school because of cost of attendance.

However, my ultimate goal is to practice on the East Coast after dental school. My questions are, how manageable will this be? If I attend my state school, will it be possible for me to move to the East without having any connections? Will establishing a pracice be difficult without these connections? Are there any other factors I need to think about?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I would especially like to get advice from practicing dentists who may have gone through this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know this too (only I'm thinking going from easy coast to west). It might be a good idea to ask on the dental forum. They might have a better idea than here.

you need to be aware about whether or not the board exam you take is accepted on the east coast where you want to practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to take the NERB if you are interested in the East Coast. It applies to almost all of the states in the country at this point. If you want to practice in a few states, (New York, California, I think CT?) you have to do at least a year of residency. So if you take the NERB AND do a residency, you're in really great shape.

Make sure to take the NERB if you are interested in the East Coast. It applies to almost all of the states in the country at this point. If you want to practice in a few states, (New York, California, I think CT?) you have to do at least a year of residency. So if you take the NERB AND do a residency, you're in really great shape.

Wreb encompasses more states

Hello All,

I am stuck deciding between two dental schools: my state school and a private school on the East Coast. Both are excellent programs, but I am still thinking about whether it is more appropriate to attend my state school because of cost of attendance.

However, my ultimate goal is to practice on the East Coast after dental school. My questions are, how manageable will this be? If I attend my state school, will it be possible for me to move to the East without having any connections? Will establishing a pracice be difficult without these connections? Are there any other factors I need to think about?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I would especially like to get advice from practicing dentists who may have gone through this! :)

In some schools, alot of the professors have private practices. You can always contact them for an associate job after you graduate. That is a plus of going to school in the same place as where you want to practice.

You are no means limited by your dental school location. Worst comes to worse they dont offer your board exam and you sit for it at another dental school. It's not the end of the world.