Easier Allopathic Schools for Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerryLo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there was a similar thread like this, but I couldn't find it or rather I couldn't narrow down my search enough to find the thread. Anyways, i was just wondering what the bottom 20 med schools were. Well, what I mean is, which allopathic med schools accept applicants with lower mcat/gps.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I know there was a similar thread like this, but I couldn't find it or rather I couldn't narrow down my search enough to find the thread. Anyways, i was just wondering what the bottom 20 med schools were. Well, what I mean is, which allopathic med schools accept applicants with lower mcat/gps.

Drop by Borders and spend an hour in their Education, Financial Aid, Etc. section. You'll find stats for all schools there.

Get the MSAR. Its official from the AAMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have your heart set on allopathic, then your best chances are your in-state medical schools (as they let their own citizens in first with lower stats than out of stater students) or the medical schools in the Caribbean (which all grant allopathic degrees).

and us californians are just ****ed

life is freaking awesome

Hi all,

There are a bunch of them but even if you have higher stats you may or may not qualify for acceptance based on things like state of residency and stuff. Your best bet is to grab a copy of the MSAR and find out for yourself depending on your own unique situation.

Hi all,

This web site gives you a list of all U S med schools with their stats: MCAT, GPA etc. You probably want to try your in-state schools and out-of-state private schools with lower stats:
http://www.medschoolready.com/app/medstatistics.asp?iMD=Y&iSO=AL&iST=&iCO=&cSU=++Refresh+School+Info++

The reasons you won't get too many direct replies is firstly, there is no official ranking of the unranked med schools. Secondly, nobody wants to stand up and name 20 schools that are at the bottom. It is just not very professional. How would you feel if your professor name you as one of the 20 bottom students in the class?

I believe that there are no bad U. S. med schools. There are med schools with some bad students.

This web site gives you a list of all U S med schools with their stats: MCAT, GPA etc. You probably want to try your in-state schools and out-of-state private schools with lower stats:
http://www.medschoolready.com/app/medstatistics.asp?iMD=Y&iSO=AL&iST=&iCO=&cSU=++Refresh+School+Info++

the numbers seem a bit too high on that site. are they giving accepted averages, like the msar does? i think one would want to use matriculated averages to get a better idea of one's chances.

it seems that some schools, like nyu, accept ppl with very high stats who, once they get their fin aid offer or get into schools like harvard or hopkins, turn them down. the result for these schools is that about half the class comes off the waitlist, and stats for acceptees aren't the best indicator of one's actual chances for getting in. in other word there are schools that shoot really high in terms of getting applicants, and so their accepted averages end up pretty inflated over their matriculated averages.

just from my experience last year applying w/ a 3.48 bcpm, 3.64 undergrad gpa and a 28R mcat, i got love from:

-rosalind franklin (passed through 1st screening)
-uvm (interviewed then waitlisted)
-nymc (interviewed then waitlisted)
-ohsu (interviewed then waitlisted, but i think i was considered only b/c i applied md/mph...they relax their screening rules for that program)

i applied really EARLY last year, which probably also helped balance my below-avg stats. hope this helps.