Easier to get into MD or DO Schools? | With just Pre-Med Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dzialo

Transgentic Experiment.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently interested in Pharmacy and Medical School, and I like to know if can get into each of these without a BS?
I would rather get a Professional Degree, like an MD or Pharm.D, then a BS.

However, I really don't care where I go, just as long as it's not 100K/year and ****ty. I want a decently acceptable school within the US.

I wanted to become a Psychiatrists or Pharmacist. However, a Pharmacist is looking better. I am just worried that with all of the schooling, the residency and specializing, I will become 'burnt out, and just give up.

While with Pharmacy, and I can start working sooner. Around 5-6 years.

I am also worried about the cost of schooling overall. For Pharmacy School at Wayne State, it would be around 80K for me. Which I feel isn't bad. I hear some Medical Students are in debt like 300-500K! Albent, you will be making more, however.

Would you say some Medical School or Pharmacy Schools or more easier then others? In terms of the work, etc. A Pharmacist I was talking to said that Ferris Pharmacy School is a little more easier the other schools, but she did not go there because she said it was located "in the middle of corn fields!". But I mean, hey - I don't care.

I guess, I kind of just, want to get things over with, I know I wont be a horrible doctor/pharmacist, but I sometimes feel I just want to take the easy way out, and just start practicing. Without the stress some Medical/Pharm Students ensue.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In this situation, I would recommend pharmacy school. My reasoning is it looks like you don't want to take as many years as you'd need for med school/residency, you don't want to go get an undergrad degree first, and you are already worried about getting burned out on school.

However, be aware that pharmacy school probably won't be a cakewalk either, and going to the "easiest" school may not be the wisest choice. After all, you want a solid education.

To be a psychiatrist, you'd need 4 year undergrad degree, 4 years med school, then 4 years of psychiatry residency. It will be demanding because you'll sometimes have to stay up all night, or work 24 hours at a stretch or more, at least in most residency programs. Psych docs take less call than most other specialties, but they are still not free of call, especially during the internship year (1st year out of med school).

500,000 debt sounds high for a med student, but 150-250k would be not uncommon. The cost of going to med school for a year would run you about 50k or so, counting tuition and living expenses for a private school. Many students also borrowed money for college, thus leaving them in big time debt.

Yes, I am sure some pharm. schools are easier than others. Some med schools are also easier than others. Neither pharm. nor med school is going to be a cakewalk, but the not having to do residency @the end of pharm. school is a big difference.

You might want to post on the pharm. student section to get better info about what it's like to be a pharm. student.

Members don't see this ad :)
O crap....

I didn't know DO stood for Pharmacist! Im screwed now, I thought I was going to be a doctor...

I am currently interested in Pharmacy and Medical School, and I like how I can get into each of these without a BS, as I feel that just isnt for me. I would rather get a Professional Degree, like an MD or Pharm.D then a BS.

You will not get into medical school without getting an undergrad degree first. An while it is theoretically possible to get into Pharmacy school after 2 or 3 years of undergrad, an increasingly greater percentage of pharmacy students get their undergrad degree first, also.

Rare exceptions to this rule are combined programs where you are admitted to a program from high school and do the undergrad and graduate work at the same institution. These programs are only open to very-high performing high school students.

Wow this was poorly written.....try again!!!!

Oh heavens, most indeed.
I did correct some errors.

It was ever so late when I was trying this and my keyboard was not working well at the time. I just bought a new one moments ago, and works much better!