Easier to get into med school if you're from an underserved area?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by james1988, Jun 22, 2008.

1. james1988

Banned

Pre-Medical
    is it easier to get into med school if you're from a really underserved area like inner city philadelphia, detroit, or baltimore?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. flaahless

Medical Student
    Beats me, but I figure it would depend on how that environment has impacted your life and influenced your decision to be a doc.

4. bcat85

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you can check a disadvantaged box on your amcas. I dunno how that would affect you though.

5. SageFrancis

Medical Student
    When you enter your address, a "U" shows up on AMCAS if your county is considered medically underserved. I doubt this helps, since some super rich kid from Beverly Hills is technically in underserved LA county.

6. ejay286

ejay286 Member

Pre-Medical
    For me it does, kinda. My state school accepts a certain amount of individuals from every area of the state. I'm from the poorest area (although my small city of 4,000 is actually quite affluent) so there are less applicants which gives me a better chance of getting in than if I was from a place with more applicants, which is usually better developed.

7. pianola

pianola MS2

Medical Student
    Thanks...was wondering about that. AMCAS seems to think I live somewhere underserved, when nothing could be farther from the truth! (at least, in terms of medical buildings, we've just got a TON of them).

8. SirGecko

SirGecko Go Navy

Resident [Any Field]
    I know that my county aparently is listed as underserved but if my county is underserved I'd bet they have most (if not all) of my state listed as underserved.

I doubt it matters much, but they report it for some reason right?

9. TamarMD

Pre-Medical
    Well what about me? (I'm not applying this cycle). I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and my family moved to Sarasota, FL last year. When I apply won't I have to put Sarasota, FL down? I don't think Sarasota is underserved but I lived in an underserved area for 19 yrs of my life and that has influenced my decision to become a physician.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. SirGecko

SirGecko Go Navy

Resident [Any Field]
    I really don't think it matters but you do put down where you were born as well. But again, really don't think it helps either way.

If it really affected you then write about it in your personal statement. Schools aren't going to assume that since you live in _____ county that you will be a better doctor.

11. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"

Medical Student
    OP, you're simplifying things too much. If med schools open a door because you are from X area, then that is because a different door most people have was close for you. Ideally, everything is balanced, so don't think you have an "advantage" that lets you easily beat out other people. It's just maximizing the situation you are in to get the best out of it.

12. TamarMD

Pre-Medical
    Oh ok. What does one put in a personal statement? I was going to talk about growing up in a household with a brother and father that were constantly sick affected me and my decision to become a doctor as well. Can you write about anything?

13. OCallag

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, you can write about anything. If you feel it important to elaborate, then by all means do so. Being from an underserved/rural area normally helps, but it really matters more if you demonstrate that it negatively affected your education or that you are committed to do something about it (ie. practice in that area, have volunteered there, etc.).

14. riceman04

Medical Student

:laugh::laugh: I laughed when I read that b/c that is sooooooooo true! Being that I am from Los Angeles I found that hilarious!

Yep...all of LA County is considered medically underserved thanks to a poor health care infrastructure! Oh all the major cities I have been in it seems like LA is the only one lacking major hospital facilities (relative to its size).

I am in Killadelphia right now and there are 5 major level 1 trauma centers in a city half the size of LA

ok pointless rant over

but that was funny