Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Easier to Improve in Bio and PS section than Verbal?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by WonderBoy, Oct 24, 2001.

1. WonderBoy

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just curious what you guys think. Is it possible with just working hard and reviewing the science material to get a decent grade? Or is something like verbal where everyone has a certain limit that you can't exceed? After studying for a few months is it possible to eventually get 13 or above on the science sections? I am a bit lost, would appreciate if you guys could give your opinions on the matter. Thanks

One more thing, what do you guys think is a good way to increase verbal score. What type of stuff should i be reading. Right now I am trying to spend at least an hour or so everyday reading the editorial section in The Wall Street Journal. Trouble is I actually enjoy reading it. Could you guys suggest any type of magazine that is similar to the MCAT passages?

2. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to raise your score if you worked hard enough long enough. A tip for the BS section: from everyone I've talked to, there's been a bigger emphasis on O-chem lately (I took it in Aug 2000, and i think over 1/2 the questions were o-chem), so know your reactions! The PS section seemed pretty evenly distributed between gen chem and physics.

With regard to reading for the VR section, I've heard it recommended by various people that the New Yorker is good, as is the New York Times. Its very important to read articles on a variety of topics, since the MCAT passages can range from scientific and technical to things about art and politics and anything in between.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AceUF78

AceUF78 Membaaa....
    10+ Year Member

And try to read at the fastest pace possible while still maintaining comprehension.

4. WonderBoy

Attending Physician
    thanks for the advice guys. Anyone else want to add anything else?

5. Sprockette

Sprockette Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well...let's see. My verbal score randomly went up 3 points, and I swear I didn't do anything to study for it except simply to read more during the summer. I read novels mostly...but magazine articles are also a good way to go. You should read about things that interest you as well as things that don't interest you/are harder to focus on.
    As for sciences, I wish I had done more passages for the second test -- I think I focused TOO much on just rememorizing material. And, I would like to add that while there probably is more of an emphasis on o-chem lately, a lot of the answers can be derived from the passages and you might not want to spend as much time memorizing reactions as you think. However, that is just my opinion...I hadn't had organic in three years before taking the MCAT, nor did I care to memorize reactions, and I found I was fine in the bio.

Ok, I don't know if that helped or not....but good luck nonetheless!!!

6. watto

watto Sleek White Pantsuit
    10+ Year Member

After you read the Journal op-ed, try to discuss at least a couple of the articles you read with someone else. Being forced to reiterate the writer's position really lets you know if you've absorbed the p.o.v., style, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. WonderBoy

Attending Physician
    Thanks a lot for your help guys, been most informative.