Easiest Dental School to get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhD2MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which of the dental schools has the least strict admission standards? I graduated college in 2003 with a BS in Biochem and Molecular Bio. My GPA was only a 3.08. Since graduation, I have been working full time in a gene therapy research lab, and teaching biology labs part time. If I did well on the DAT, would I even stand a chance to get into a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Why are NYUs stats so low. I thought NYUs was overall an extremely good school. I was suprised to see that their stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD2MD said:
Why are NYUs stats so low. I thought NYUs was overall an extremely good school. I was suprised to see that their stats.

Just because some of a university's programs are highly selective doesn't necessarily mean the other schools are at the same level of selectivity (Columbia is another good example). You should look at each program in and of itself because that's what they are - autonomous units within a university. That being said, any of the US dental schools will give you a top notch education , no matter if their last classes' average gpa was 2.9 or 3.9. You need to consider what are the most important things to you (location, cost, whether you are interested more in research or developing excellent clinical skills are some things that people consider) along with likelihood of getting in, and then choose from there. If you can do very well on the DAT (20+), you have a chance with your experience, at many schools. A 3.1 is very doable, although more important is your science gpa. What's that like? Good Luck!!! :thumbup:

You have a great chance. You can easily compensate for your "plebeian" GPA with solid DAT scores.

also keep in mind that schools with low stats may not necessary be easier to get into. There are many students who have a better chance of getting into Penn or Columbia than they do to Howard.

PhD2MD said:

$$$

kato999 said:
also keep in mind that schools with low stats may not necessary be easier to get into. There are many students who have a better chance of getting into Penn or Columbia than they do to Howard.

This is true for the most part. Different schools stress different things.

The Dean of Admission at Baylor said flat out that they don't look at the PAT section of the DAT because they believe it has limited or no bearing at all on the success of the dental student.

On the other hand, one of the interviewers who worked at UOP previously, stressed that the PAT was looked at highly at that school.

As far as Howard, the Dean himself explained that "if you can't spell community," the chances of getting into the school decrease. That is one of the main things that the school stresses: committment to community service. DAT and GPA are looked at, but community service plays a role, larger than is most realized.

For instance, this is best shown by visiting this url Howard Univ Community Projects

When time permits, I would encourage viewing The Dental Pipeline webpage to see what schools other than Howard are doing to increase access to dental care for the underpriviledged.

Every school has its own ways of weeding out applicants. It just makes sense to apply to those schools where your stats, activities, and future goals are best likely to match. Take care and GOD Bless.