1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Easiest Dental Schools To Get Into

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by queenskillers, Apr 24, 2004.

1. queenskillers

queenskillers Member
    7+ Year Member

what are they? i live in ny so hopefully one of them in ny is easy to get into, possibly stony brook or buffalo or nyu. if not, wat is the easiest in the northeast, i hear boston is pretty easy. what type of gpa do u need approx to get into the easiest schools? thanks in advance!

2. aileen

aileen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I heard that NYU is easiER to get in because of their huge class size.

3. Dentalist

Dentalist carpe diem
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    While all dental schools are not easy to get into, I think that BU and NYU are less competitive to get into than others.

4. Impmail101

Impmail101 Member
    7+ Year Member

Honestly speaking. it's getting competitive every year. I kno plenty of ppl form my school who didn't get into any dental school, besides having good stats!!!
    i guess it depends on how many applicants are there

5. hockeydentist

hockeydentist 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

With stats and number of people applying rising each, the quest for dental admission is getting tougher and tougher. The back up schools are no longer becoming back up schools anymore.

6. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

True.

You will never know, but one thing that will not change for a while is applying very early (May-July), that's still the key.

7. big dogg

big dogg Member
    7+ Year Member

and remember, it may be easy to get into a school, but no school is easy once you get in so you have to assess your own abilities too.

8. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    In the foreseeable future that may be the case. Right now it seems that the number of applicants are rising unusually high. I mean how many schools can possibility maintain 2000+ applicants over say a period of a decade.

9. BiOGoly

BiOGoly PharmD, BCGP
    15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The admissions game is cyclical for all professional programs. People say med school is getting more competitive, but it's still nothing compared to the early/mid 90's when applications went through the roof. In the late 80's getting into a good MBA program was an impossible dream for many people, now even some of the best programs in the country are struggling to fill seats. As for dental schools in the 70's the US graduated around 6000 new dentists a year, today that number is around 4000...and dentists are in greater demand than ever. As demand continues to rise and older dentists retire schools will again need to increase enrollment. Will admissions get more competitive than it currently is? Possibly, but not by much in the long term. There will always be peaks and valleys, but the averages are pretty stable over time.

10. LetMeIn

LetMeIn Member
    7+ Year Member

Getting in is the easy part...

Staying in is the adventure! The rumour is 22 people failed last year at BU, 5 had to retake the year, 17 dropped/forced out of the program. :scared:

11. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

That's over 10% of the class being kicked out. It must be the setting.

12. KDBuff

KDBuff Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say do a search on here, and buy the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools. That book will let you know where you fit in as far as the numbers go.

13. agutier3

agutier3 The City By the Bay
    7+ Year Member

I agree. It can only help.

14. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

Just a guess, but if the retention rate at a state school is that low, there would be a lot of house cleaning with the faculty or selection committee. Also, I think that would have an effect on accreditation. There's no way to fill those seats they lost(millons of dollars down the drain if you calulate those lost kids over 4 years), so I think I'm going to say that this rumor is a tad on the false side, JMHO.

15. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

PashaJ is a current student at BU who told us what happened last year. Apparently it was a cheating scandal from what I understand. But yes, a huge chunk of the Class of 2006 at BU got dismissed.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=60907&page=2&pp=25&highlight=dismissed

It's probably a one-off thing.

Moral of the story I guess would be that getting into dental school is only the beginning. One is going to need intestinal fortitude to see all four years through.

16. gatorfan99

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    No dental school is EASY to get into. B.U. and NYU are more leniant for accepting more people with SLIGHTLY lower stats because of their HUGE price tags.

I would say that state schools in YOUR state are your best bet. Now, that of course depends. U Maryland accepts 50% of all people from Maryland that applies to its program, Florida accepted 70-75 out of the over 1000 in-state that applied last year (bigger pop).