Easiest Pharm school to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Caverject said:
I take serious offense to these comments!!! +pissed+

You are no doubt the king troll around these bridges ;) .

I still find it hilarious that YO YO YO is saying I am a troll. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Members don't see this ad.

BiOGoly said:
UCSF is certainly a good school with a solid program and a long history, but I hate to break this to you...there is no "indisputably best pharmacy school in the US", it simply doesn't exist. USnews poll rankings make good PR, but the actual methods used to construct those rankings are somewhat laughable...it's like an astrological horoscope for overacheivers.

I disagree. There are some pharmacy schools that provide a better education than others with some containing higher caliber students. Different schools tailor to different types of pharmacists with some predominantly aiming its graduates towards retail while others gearing towards clinical and research. While US News methodology is flawed for the pharmacy rankings, it does give an idea as to the selectivity of an institution. The faculty at UCSF will be better suited towards the research discipline as the research output from the institution is well known for its contributions to pharmacology. Also, a higher quality student body allows for a more rigorous education in what can be accomplished. The analogy can be applied to certain community colleges as well - the average student quality is lower, and thus the difficulty and rigors of a course will reflect the student body. While this is a controversial idea, I believe it holds true in many circumstances as pharmacy schools acknolwedge this difference in their admissions practices. There are varying qualities of pharmacy schools - I believe this fact is undeniable.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I don't profess to be extremely knowledgeable about ALL institutions within the state of IOWA, I know that Drake (which I have been admitted to) is not easy to get into. They have a pre-pharm program with guaranteed acceptance, and they typically admit between 5-15 "outside applicants" to the program.

I sure as heck don't know about you, but to me, those are pretty ****ty odds of getting in (unless you're part of the pre-pharm program).

To put it simply, I wouldn't apply to Drake as a safety.

If you were being sarcastic (can't tell from just reading a message board, you might wanna accentuate that with some emoticons to make it more obvious) then no harm done. If you weren't, please don't steer people into the wrong direction.

DoctorCoke said:
If you were being sarcastic (can't tell from just reading a message board, you might wanna accentuate that with some emoticons to make it more obvious) then no harm done. If you weren't, please don't steer people into the wrong direction.

I think he was being sarcastic. Because doesn't University of Iowa only accept like 3 out of state people a year? At least that is why I thought he said Iowa.

evilolive said:
I disagree. There are some pharmacy schools that provide a better education than others with some containing higher caliber students. Different schools tailor to different types of pharmacists with some predominantly aiming its graduates towards retail while others gearing towards clinical and research. While US News methodology is flawed for the pharmacy rankings, it does give an idea as to the selectivity of an institution. The faculty at UCSF will be better suited towards the research discipline as the research output from the institution is well known for its contributions to pharmacology. There are varying qualities of pharmacy schools - I believe this fact is undeniable.
What schools are concentrated around retail? This is what I am interested in, however have never heard this before...

Mongoos150 said:
What schools are concentrated around retail? This is what I am interested in, however have never heard this before...

While I don't have specific schools listed at the top of my head, you can examine the curriculum of every pharmacy school. It is not uniform in the fact that there are auxiliary courses according to the focus from school to school in what they consider essential for their graduating class of pharmacists to know. Some schools are better than others in the direction you're going.

Mongoos150 said:
some have production of retail pharmacits listed in their mission statements

evilolive said:
I disagree. There are some pharmacy schools that provide a better education than others with some containing higher caliber students. Different schools tailor to different types of pharmacists with some predominantly aiming its graduates towards retail while others gearing towards clinical and research. While US News methodology is flawed for the pharmacy rankings, it does give an idea as to the selectivity of an institution. The faculty at UCSF will be better suited towards the research discipline as the research output from the institution is well known for its contributions to pharmacology. Also, a higher quality student body allows for a more rigorous education in what can be accomplished. The analogy can be applied to certain community colleges as well - the average student quality is lower, and thus the difficulty and rigors of a course will reflect the student body. While this is a controversial idea, I believe it holds true in many circumstances as pharmacy schools acknolwedge this difference in their admissions practices. There are varying qualities of pharmacy schools - I believe this fact is undeniable.

Yeah, but he/she never said there weren't differing levels of quality, only that UCSF isn't the undisputed king of the ring.

You will be wined and dined and feel like a famous person for the first week of pharmacy school by ALL the chains... other companies will give you coolers and backpacks and you will gain a good 5 pounds in cheesecakes because they're around like all the time.

After that, it kinda all goes away and it's just hard work!

No, no schools just for retail, after all this is a Doctoral program now. You will constantly be faced with things you are certain you will never again see in your life, like IV flow rates and SOAP notes, patient assessments, rounds, you'll get diagnostic training and you'll learn more about the human body then you ever thought existed... no not just bones... EVERYTHING... veins, nerves, their names, their chemistry and enzymes, cellular signaling is a blast (not really), you will learn how blissful SEVERE ******ATION used to be from sheer not knowing what is out there to know.

Psyche yourself up now to start loving every second of it or you will be in for a rather sizable surprise.

RxRob said:
You will be wined and dined and feel like a famous person for the first week of pharmacy school by ALL the chains...

I've had to buy my own wine...a lot of it.

ultracet said:
yeah well...
we have a club...

for more information contact c-ject

I'll join that club....I just joined and have read pretty much all insipid1979 posts.....so annoying.

NYCAZ said:
I'll join that club....I just joined and have read pretty much all insipid1979 posts.....so annoying.

I think you kind of missed the point of the club ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
insipid1979 said:
I think you kind of missed the point of the club ;)

You're still annoying though.

did you try out of the country?

Mongoos150 said:

South is one, there are probably others. Check out their mission statement.

Smilescali said:
No we don't know what you mean Moxxie!! Why don't you explain it to us.... :p

I'll just start with an illustration...

59049-main.jpg

And I'm pretty sure that this is the sort of thing that a few people in this thread need right now...

B0002FP4AE.01-A2YHTQDZ7CUOF8._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Any questions?

I looked into South, no mention of a retail emphasis in their mission/values...A three year program sounds extremely intense!

Mongoos150 said:
I looked into South, no mention of a retail emphasis in their mission/values...A three year program sounds extremely intense!

Look again... here is their mission statement. :)

The School provides a learning community that facilitates critical thinking, problem-solving skills and scholarship, using the latest technology. It provides for active student-centered learning that fosters life-long learning and continuing professional development. Although the School prepares pharmacists for all areas of practice, special emphasis is placed on the community environment in which the majority of healthcare services will be provided in the future.

phuongle2 said:
Well, since pharmacy schools are getting really competitive, there is nothing wrong with knowing the easiest ones to get into. Easiest ones, they were approved by the board, and if students from those schools could pass the board exam, these schools are competent.
I think you could look into schools that have just opened and not accredited yet, these maybe easier to get into. Pacific in Oregon just had their first class, and Hilo will open one too. I think somewhere in the forum there is a sticky on pharmacy FAQS posted by Bananaface in which you could look at ratio of application to enrolled. I heard Boston-Massachusetts o Boston-Worcester is easy to get into. Maybe above 30% acceptance rate. Well, good luck applying.

I disagree. I toured the school and asked those people and they have the program where you're accepted straight from highschool. This means there won't be any seats available for outsiders, well not likely. It's a 6 years straight program where you do not have to apply to get into their 4 yrs pharmacy curriculum after you've finished your prereqs.

I read that the Univ of Kentucky is one of the top 10 Pharm programs in the country. Pretty competitive though,(like all the rest).

I believe that you can focus your training toward your specialization at some point, or just continue a fellowship or residency for that.

* hey, that nurse in the picture stole my boots!

Moxxie said:
I'll just start with an illustration...

59049-main.jpg

And I'm pretty sure that this is the sort of thing that a few people in this thread need right now...

B0002FP4AE.01-A2YHTQDZ7CUOF8._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Any questions?

Ahh.... NOPE, that pretty much clarifies things. Double Yikes! :scared: :scared:

I didn't know you modeled psycho/ crazy nurse attire!

NYCAZ said:
You have to be invited.

You are not cool enough to join

Don't let the door hit you in the ass

Starsweet - interesting, thanks for pointing that out. I don't think I'd attend such a new program - not to mention three years...I can't imagine the amount of studying, to cram that extra year into the remaining three...eep!