Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Easiest to get in? UV, UW, or OHSU???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Ronin, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know these are great schools that are quite difficult to get in as an out-state applicant (I am from CA).

Anyway, could any one comment on which one of these three is easiest to get in for an out-state student? Thanks!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Sultan

The Sultan Member
    7+ Year Member

If by UW you mean univ of wisconsin, then it is extremely hard to get into their MD program as an out of state resident. I have heard that they are required to have 95% of their calss to be in-state residents. Hope this helps.

Peace

4. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks! but i apologize for not being clear :p
    I meant "U. Washington", "U. Virginia", and "Oregon H&S U."

5. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

uw hardly takes any out of state people. you have to show a commitment to rural health in washington or something like that to have much of a chance.
    uva takes something like 50% (?) out of state, so you have a decent shot there -- although it's a really good school so you may have to have top credentials to get in out of state.
    ohsu takes a fair number of out of state. again, i'd say you'd have to have a very competitive application to get in out of state.

b/c the process is so random it's hard to say for sure. i applied to uva and ohsu but didn't feel like uw was worth my time.

6. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the help.

7. republicandr

republicandr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm from Washington State. I applied to UVa, UW, OHSU and 17 other schools.

I spent 6 weeks at a UWSOM summer program. UW is a very hard school to get into. We have four other states that are considered "in state," (Montana, Alaska, Idaho, and Wyoming). I would not apply to UW unless you have awesome MCATs, GPA, and ECs.

I visited OHSU last summer. OHSU is a little easier to get into, but it is still hard since they are primarily an "in state" school. I will be interviewing at OHSU next week.

I spent 6 weeks at UVa. It is an awesome school and a beautiful town. I ran about 5 miles every other day. They are hard to get into as well. After getting accepted at another medical school, I withdrew my application from UVa, so I am not sure whether they would have invited me for an interview or not. I was told at the summer program, that if you want to be competative, then you need to have double digits on all MCAT subsections.

8. NIYO2K2

NIYO2K2 Member
    10+ Year Member

U of Va. really loves out-state applicants. I read somewhere that the school is made up of about half of out-state. Have you thought about U of Michigan, thats one of those out-state loving schools:mad: !!!

Hope this helps

9. Ronin

Ronin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for the advice!

10. AussieNYC

AussieNYC Member
    7+ Year Member

UVA is very difficult to get into...it is an in-state school so more than half of the students are VA residents. i think the ratio is 80:50, instate:oops:ut of state, but i do agree with some of you, they love out of staters b/c they love the national recognition...

:p