Easiest to get in? UV, UW, or OHSU???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these are great schools that are quite difficult to get in as an out-state applicant (I am from CA).

Anyway, could any one comment on which one of these three is easiest to get in for an out-state student? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If by UW you mean univ of wisconsin, then it is extremely hard to get into their MD program as an out of state resident. I have heard that they are required to have 95% of their calss to be in-state residents. Hope this helps.

Peace

Thanks! but i apologize for not being clear :p
I meant "U. Washington", "U. Virginia", and "Oregon H&S U."

Members don't see this ad :)
uw hardly takes any out of state people. you have to show a commitment to rural health in washington or something like that to have much of a chance.
uva takes something like 50% (?) out of state, so you have a decent shot there -- although it's a really good school so you may have to have top credentials to get in out of state.
ohsu takes a fair number of out of state. again, i'd say you'd have to have a very competitive application to get in out of state.

b/c the process is so random it's hard to say for sure. i applied to uva and ohsu but didn't feel like uw was worth my time.

thanks for the help.

I'm from Washington State. I applied to UVa, UW, OHSU and 17 other schools.

I spent 6 weeks at a UWSOM summer program. UW is a very hard school to get into. We have four other states that are considered "in state," (Montana, Alaska, Idaho, and Wyoming). I would not apply to UW unless you have awesome MCATs, GPA, and ECs.

I visited OHSU last summer. OHSU is a little easier to get into, but it is still hard since they are primarily an "in state" school. I will be interviewing at OHSU next week.

I spent 6 weeks at UVa. It is an awesome school and a beautiful town. I ran about 5 miles every other day. They are hard to get into as well. After getting accepted at another medical school, I withdrew my application from UVa, so I am not sure whether they would have invited me for an interview or not. I was told at the summer program, that if you want to be competative, then you need to have double digits on all MCAT subsections.

U of Va. really loves out-state applicants. I read somewhere that the school is made up of about half of out-state. Have you thought about U of Michigan, thats one of those out-state loving schools:mad: !!!

Hope this helps

thanks for the advice!

UVA is very difficult to get into...it is an in-state school so more than half of the students are VA residents. i think the ratio is 80:50, instate:oops:ut of state, but i do agree with some of you, they love out of staters b/c they love the national recognition...

:p