East Coast Schools taking West Coast Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yellow Snow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if east coast private schools are any less likely to accept west coast applicants? As I prepare to apply, I keep feeling like I need to prove to the Eastern schools that I am willing to travel that far for dental school but...at the same time I don't really wanna take up room in my PS for this if it is a minor concern. Is this a non-issue? Did anyone go out of their way to communicate this?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yellow Snow said:
Does anyone know if east coast private schools are any less likely to accept west coast applicants? As I prepare to apply, I keep feeling like I need to prove to the Eastern schools that I am willing to travel that far for dental school but...at the same time I don't really wanna take up room in my PS for this if it is a minor concern. Is this a non-issue? Did anyone go out of their way to communicate this?

Thanks.

I don't think so. As a matter of fact, I didn't even mention anything like this in my application and I got more interviews on the east coast than the west coast and I'm from California. I was surprised. I really don't think it matters to the AdComs. Public schools are a different case though.

Yellow Snow said:

Thanks.

About 1/3 of my class is from California.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yellow Snow said:

Thanks.

Trust me, it'll come up in your interview and yes they take the fact that you are from the west coast. So have a prepared answer for it

Yellow Snow said:

Thanks.

Most East coast school interview many & take a good number of applicants from westcoast usually so you don't need to talk about it in your personal statement.