USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to Maryland, I've declined all my other offers, but Loma Linda is giving me about another week before the $1000 deposit is due. As far as the schools go I think they're both great but was more impressed with Maryland. What I'm wondering is this - which coast is a better place to live? Does anybody have a preference for any specific reasons? Has anybody lived on both and can give a direct comparison? From what I understand the west coast is way more laid back.

I realize this is entirely subjective, but I'm just looking for opinions.

usdental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
north cali
Status
I have lived both in the east coast and west coast, and I think it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you want. Loma Linda is in southern cali, which I believe is very different from northern cali.
In SoCali..the weather is great, the beaches are beauitful and yes most of the girls are good looking..however, this only being my opinion most people are very materalistic, people are very focused on what kind of car you drive, where you live, what you do!!! NoCali...is more like east coast, but with better customer service. I really like east coast because people seem real, the guys are better looking, and plus I've lived in Europe for 4 years and is much more european.
I would prefer living in east coast as a student and having a family in southern cali...its really hard to study on a sunny day when your friends who already finished school and making money go out on their boat or have partys at beach houses.

Jone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2003
florida
Visit site
Status
east coast, definitely more variety of personalities, but they are snobs.

west coast, bunch of gold diggers.

i love generalizing =)

usdental said:
I have lived both in the east coast and west coast, and I think it all depends on what kind of lifestyle you want. Loma Linda is in southern cali, which I believe is very different from northern cali.
In SoCali..the weather is great, the beaches are beauitful and yes most of the girls are good looking..however, this only being my opinion most people are very materalistic, people are very focused on what kind of car you drive, where you live, what you do!!! NoCali...is more like east coast, but with better customer service. I really like east coast because people seem real, the guys are better looking, and plus I've lived in Europe for 4 years and is much more european.
I would prefer living in east coast as a student and having a family in southern cali...its really hard to study on a sunny day when your friends who already finished school and making money go out on their boat or have partys at beach houses.

About the Ads

usdental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
north cali
Status
Jone said:
east coast, definitely more variety of personalities, but they are snobs.

west coast, bunch of gold diggers.

i love generalizing =)
Good way of putting it :laugh:
Personally, I would rather be around people with personality instead of people who have no clue whats going on outside their bubble

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
West coast! Sunny, fun, laid back. How much is it snowing right now on the east coast? BTW, since its colder-->people stay indoors more-->drink to stay warm-->drunken meanies who don't like to socialize (just kidding guys). For me, i love wearing shorts and flip flops

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
usdental said:
I would rather be around people with personality instead of people who have no clue whats going on outside their bubble
Ha! Then don't go to dental school! :D

RicDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Toronto
Status
usdental said:
loma linda is not your "ideal" so.cal city. beach is not near, weather is not so great, u are not really "near" anything. most students who go attend school there either grew up there and are used to the "loma linda lifestyle" or are just commuters...... so don't base it on that. but yes u may stll find that people try to outdo each other here with their bmws/benzes and their louis vuitton knockoffs. my 1 cent... again.

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
nothen2do said:
West coast! Sunny, fun, laid back. How much is it snowing right now on the east coast?
It may snow here, but at least we don't have to worry about: earthquakes, mudslides, drought, fires, and Arnold Schwarzenegger!

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
edkNARF said:
It may snow here, but at least we don't have to worry about: earthquakes, mudslides, drought, fires, and Arnold Schwarzenegger!
Hey we love the governator here :D How often does the leader of your state call the opposition "girly men!"

OP
USUaggie

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
nothen2do said:
West coast! Sunny, fun, laid back. How much is it snowing right now on the east coast? BTW, since its colder-->people stay indoors more-->drink to stay warm-->drunken meanies who don't like to socialize (just kidding guys). For me, i love wearing shorts and flip flops
Yeah, me too! I would take socal weather over utah or northeastern weather any day, but can I justify sacrificing my top school for non-dental reasons? I've been to California several times and love it and for me it would be a lot easier to go there with relatives in the area, plus it's just a short, cheap flight home if I need it, whereas Baltimore is completely unfamiliar and I honestly wake up sometimes wondering "what the hell am I doing? Baltimore? That's clear out there!" Man, I thought I was set on my school but I've just been having crazy thoughts this week. Is this happening to anyone else?

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
loma linda better school , west coast better weather, and who said east coast has better looking guys? :cool:

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
Aero047 said:
Northeast is where its at.
Didn't anyone see the Day after Tomorrow! When the world's weather pattern shifts, everyone in the east and north is in trouble. When that time comes, it will be easy for us Californians to migrate into Mexico :)

About the Ads

Kiluminati

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
USUaggie said:
Yeah, me too! I would take socal weather over utah or northeastern weather any day, but can I justify sacrificing my top school for non-dental reasons? I've been to California several times and love it and for me it would be a lot easier to go there with relatives in the area, plus it's just a short, cheap flight home if I need it, whereas Baltimore is completely unfamiliar and I honestly wake up sometimes wondering "what the hell am I doing? Baltimore? That's clear out there!" Man, I thought I was set on my school but I've just been having crazy thoughts this week. Is this happening to anyone else?
You also have to consider where you want to practice. If you want to practice in California, LLU would be a much better choice for you. If you don't care where you practice, LLU is still the better choice. Who the freak wants to live in Baltimore? Isn't it like the second biggest crime city next to Detroit?

edkNARF

A is A
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
Kiluminati said:
You also have to consider where you want to practice. If you want to practice in California, LLU would be a much better choice for you. If you don't care where you practice, LLU is still the better choice. Who the freak wants to live in Baltimore? Isn't it like the second biggest crime city next to Detroit?
Why is everyone getting so bent up on Baltimore? There are many cities on the east coast that are better than California!

OP
USUaggie

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
I researched the crime rate - Baltimore is about 7th worst in the nation, however, San Bernadino was worse, as was Richmond Va. (another school I was considering)

Kiluminati

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
USUaggie said:
Uh, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Punk is actually my music of choice.
Ok then. Where do the majority of good punk bands come from...SoCal. And no, there aren't any better cities on the east coast better than California. Nice try though.

Kiluminati

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
USUaggie said:
I researched the crime rate - Baltimore is about 7th worst in the nation, however, San Bernadino was worse, as was Richmond Va. (another school I was considering)
That's inner city San Bernardino. There's no reason you would ever be there. Loma Linda has a very low crime rate and is right next to Redlands, which is a very nice area. Isn't UofM right smack in the middle of Baltimore?

Aero047

Another among the masses
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Somewhere on earth
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Haha, California is so full of earthquakes I don't know why people would wanna live there. Taxes are high as anything...NJ is the best place to be...lol even though we have one of the most corrupt and whacked out government in the country (e.g.- McGreevy, corrupt politicians, etc) Plus, ya have NY right there!

Pikeyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
If you go to California, you will find yourself talking like "things of that nature...things of that nature...things of that nature...things of that nature..."

OP
USUaggie

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
I don't get it. Is that just how they talk? I thought all the cool new words came from there like "tight" "sick" "hella" "off the hook" you know, all the hip-hop words the cool kids say and when I try to say it I feel like a dorky white wannabe.

About the Ads

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
USUaggie said:
I don't get it. Is that just how they talk? I thought all the cool new words came from there like "tight" "sick" "hella" "off the hook" you know, all the hip-hop words the cool kids say and when I try to say it I feel like a dorky white wannabe.

tight, sick, off the hook-words from the 80's

hella-only the kids from nor cal say that word, and let me tell you, it is extremely annoying! All the socal kids make fun of the norcallers. They're still mad at us for diverting their water supply a hundred years or so ago

OP
USUaggie

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
80's? Utah's even lamer than I thought! :oops: I didn't hear "sick" until about 5 years ago. I started hearing "tight" around '97 or so and that's just because I had cousins from Cali. :cool:

onetoothleft

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Manhattan, NYC
Status
Dental Student
Remember LLU is a religious school . . . like BYU (so I have heard). That may weigh in too.

If you think you will end up back in utah, or the southwest, LLU would ber a better choice. Remember that you have to take regional boards your senior year in the state/region that you want to practice. I wouldn't want to be so far away and have to find patients to show the examiners in some other state or region.

Kiluminati

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
Status
Pikeyman said:
If you go to California, you will find yourself talking like "things of that nature...things of that nature...things of that nature...things of that nature..."
Interesting. I've lived in SoCal my whole life and I have never once said that.

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
Kiluminati said:
Interesting. I've lived in SoCal my whole life and I have never once said that.
I believe he's making fun of the Gubanator, cuz that's how SNL depicts him.

Pikeyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
Go see your governor in action during a press meeting. You'll see what I mean.

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
nothen2do said:
Didn't anyone see the Day after Tomorrow! When the world's weather pattern shifts, everyone in the east and north is in trouble. When that time comes, it will be easy for us Californians to migrate into Mexico :)
Too bad your state will probably be rattled by an earthquake and fall into the sea the day after the day after tomorrow. :D

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
Sprgrover said:
Too bad your state will probably be rattled by an earthquake and fall into the sea the day after the day after tomorrow. :D
Ya, higher property value as you'll have real estate on an island! :D

OP
USUaggie

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
Your mom has property on an island - so here's another valid question/thought: If LLU has lower board scores than the national average, would it be easier to get a higher class ranking and therefor increase likelyhood of getting into a specialty? Like if I got 94's on the boards and at UMaryland was ranked 30th out of 100 or at LLU was ranked 10 out of 100, which would look better? I guess it's like GPA vs. DAT all over again - does anyone follow my logic and does it work?

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
nothen2do said:
tight, sick, off the hook-words from the 80's

hella-only the kids from nor cal say that word, and let me tell you, it is extremely annoying! All the socal kids make fun of the norcallers. They're still mad at us for diverting their water supply a hundred years or so ago
I am from "Norcal" and am unaware of this contest between Northern and Southern California. Make fun of us? Why? Is it one of those things that Socal kids like to do because they feel...ahem...inferior? :p Since now I know that there are some of you out there who feel this way about my beloved Norcal...I feel that I have to speak up. Even Gwen Stefani, a Socal native, thought enough of us to make a song out of our wonderful word. When I think of Socal, I think of drugged up movie stars and rich, spoiled kids whose parents forgot how to raise them. It kind of makes me giggle to call them rich 'cause Norcal cities have the highest gross incomes and concentration of professionals than ANY CITY in the US! The difference is we aren't spoiled :D .

For all you California haters out there, Cali features the two best dental schools located right here in San Francisco: UOP and UCSF! And a public university system that the entire world envies. We also feature some of the healthiest and fastest growing cities according to Men's Health and Forbes magazine respectively. The technology that makes the computer monitor in front of you was developed by the professionals in Norcal. Why not live in California? :cool: The only problem with being a dentist in Norcal is that we have so many of them! We have too many professionals, which includes dentists, doctors, engineers! I recommend moving to Socal and serving the underserved and unprivileged communities over there... :p

About the Ads

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
EyeAmCommi said:
We have too many professionals, which includes dentists, doctors, engineers! I recommend moving to Socal and serving the underserved and unprivileged communities over there... :p

That hurts.

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Sprgrover said:
I'd rather have an earthquake every 20 years than have to shovel snow out of my driveway 4 months out of every year :p

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
EyeAmCommi said:
I'd rather have an earthquake every 20 years than have to shovel snow out of my driveway 4 months out of every year :p
snap...now there's some hip dialect from us socallers

niceteeth

Niceteeth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
EyeAmCommi said:
Hahaha, true that!

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
Seasonal changes are the root of technological innovation and intellectual development. According to a national survey by A.M.U.C. children raised in regions with seasonal changes scored higher on several cognitive tests and usually have 5-10% higher IQ scores. (adjusted for socioeconmic factors)

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
I would go to Maryland in a heart beat because i got to have some social life with some alcohol after tests and stuff.
In LLU if you get caught smoking cig or drinking even at your home, you will be kick out for at least or year.

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
aceking said:
I would go to Maryland in a heart beat because i got to have some social life with some alcohol after tests and stuff.
In LLU if you get caught smoking cig or drinking even at your home, you will be kick out for at least or year.
Is that hearsay I view? I would think that if someone were to drink a glass of wine at his own home, it would be somewhat difficult for the school to find out. Except that they are now drug testing and giving breathalizers before class....just kidding

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
nothen2do said:
Is that hearsay I view? I would think that if someone were to drink a glass of wine at his own home, it would be somewhat difficult for the school to find out. Except that they are now drug testing and giving breathalizers before class....just kidding

i know someone who goes to LLU medical school and was having a some beer while playing poker and the neighbors saw that from outside and told the school all about it. He was suspended for one year.

OP
USUaggie

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
But just assuming that, hypothetically speaking, I was a mormon and wasn't into that anyway would that make a difference? I'm still torn between the appeals of the safe sunny suburb and the big city attractions.

velikimajmun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
USUaggie said:
But just assuming that, hypothetically speaking, I was a mormon and wasn't into that anyway would that make a difference? I'm still torn between the appeals of the safe sunny suburb and the big city attractions.

A mormon dentist? Nooooo :cool:

nothen2do

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
aceking said:
i know someone who goes to LLU medical school and was having a some beer while playing poker and the neighbors saw that from outside and told the school all about it. He was suspended for one year.

show me where in the school bylaws that you get kicked out for doing something legal. And, the neigbors don't have proof othern than their word vs. the student. If that were true, and there was nothing that I signed that said drinking is forbidden by students anywhere, than I would think there are grounds for legal action against the school, wouldnt ya say?

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
USUaggie said:
Your mom has property on an island - so here's another valid question/thought: If LLU has lower board scores than the national average, would it be easier to get a higher class ranking and therefor increase likelyhood of getting into a specialty? Like if I got 94's on the boards and at UMaryland was ranked 30th out of 100 or at LLU was ranked 10 out of 100, which would look better? I guess it's like GPA vs. DAT all over again - does anyone follow my logic and does it work?
If you got a 94 on your boards, then the 10/100 would look a lot better than 30/100, regardless of the school. Class rank is all based on comparing you to your classmates. It doesn't compare you to students at a different school. Don't assume that just because LLU is below the national average for board scores, it is full of slacker students and it will be easy for you to coast through there at the top of the class. There are always those who are hard core and will keep you on your toes and are gunning for the same high rank you are.

Remember, class rank only matters if you are applying to specialize or want a better chance at your pick of general practice residencies, if you choose to do one. Otherwise, class rank will mean squat after you've graduated.

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
nothen2do said:
show me where in the school bylaws that you get kicked out for doing something legal. And, the neigbors don't have proof othern than their word vs. the student. If that were true, and there was nothing that I signed that said drinking is forbidden by students anywhere, than I would think there are grounds for legal action against the school, wouldnt ya say?
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.llu.edu/llu/handbook/6a.htm

I've heard too that it can be pretty harsh, but every student should know the rules and accept it before attending. If you plan on not respecting the school's philosophy, why bother attending?

EyeAmCommi

Los Angeles Smog
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
airvent said:
Seasonal changes are the root of technological innovation and intellectual development. According to a national survey by A.M.U.C. children raised in regions with seasonal changes scored higher on several cognitive tests and usually have 5-10% higher IQ scores. (adjusted for socioeconmic factors)
And this makes shoveling snow more appealing how?

Besides, it rains in California. It's not everyday that we get sunny weather in the low 80s with the coldest temperatures being in the mid 50's. We only get good weather 80% of the time :D

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
nothen2do said:

Crazy Sherm got the evidence. But dang man u sound like a lawyer of something.

as far as i know everyone must sign that drug or Fun free enviroment thing. Iam not lying. Wanna know about shrimp and pork??? try eating that on Sabbath and see what happens in that Loma Linda Town.

crazy_sherm

å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
San Francisco
Status
Dentist
aceking said:
Crazy Sherm got the evidence. But dang man u sound like a lawyer of something.

as far as i know everyone must sign that drug or Fun free enviroment thing. Iam not lying. Wanna know about shrimp and pork??? try eating that on Sabbath and see what happens in that Loma Linda Town.
Despite how you feel about Loma Linda's religious affiliation, I don't think it's appropriate to make fun of other people's beliefs. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going to school there, but I'm not going to knock the school. I'm sure the majority of students that go there are fine with the rules and can understand why they are in place.

Oh, and since I know nothing about the Sabbath and why shrimp are evil, i googled it and came across this site.

http://godhatesshrimp.com/ :scared:

About the Ads