east coast vs west coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

abc56

hello there! i am a 3rd year medical student looking to apply in EM. i met with the dean of my school today who said i am a good candidate and will match likely anywhere, which was really nice to hear. however, she did mention to me that "there arent really any good programs on the east coast. you should go out west" which i thought was REALLY drastic considering i have my heart set on moving to nyc or staying in boston

how can there be no good programs in boston/new york? i guess i feel a little lost and i felt like she didnt consider how important location is to me. my family lives near new york city and i really want to move there b/c i think i'd be happiest. other possibilities are boston or philly.

just looking for some advice here. im all confused! she did mention that the east coast programs are newer, and maybe thats why she thinks theyre not as good, but i dont know, something about the convo didnt sit well with me

i;d love some advice from anyone who has been through the residency application process or who knows a bit about EM programs.
Thanks a bunch!
abc

Members don't see this ad.

I think there are plent of great programs on the east coast. I interviewed only on the east coast (granted, from florida to boston), and was very impressed with a lot of places.

Read through the forum, especially some of the posts that are linked from the sticky. You'll see that there is a lot of parity in quality of education among EM residencies; almost anywhere in the country will make you a good emergency physician. What you need to decide is the type of program you want (size, emphasis, length, etc), and apply to appropriate places.

I think if you only looked at NYC, Boston and Philly you would have a solid group of programs cut from a few different molds.

Try this...

residency reviews on the sticky thread above.